Always asks for restore

metaguy
metaguy Member
Using Quicken 2010. Instead of just opening the database, it gives the 3 options to start, but even the one for on the pc Win 7, it wants to restore, not simply open. There's not a Save option on the file menu, and when opening again it repeats the 3 options. After a selection it then goes to sign in.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Check your filename length. Quicken can get picky about it if it is longer than eight characters, 12345678.QDF. 
    Also check that there is not a space at the end before the period.
    Rename it in Windows Explorer with Quicken closed. Once renamed, double click on the file to start Quicken with that file, after that, it should find it on its own.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Check your filename length. Quicken can get picky about it if it is longer than eight characters, 12345678.QDF. 
    Also check that there is not a space at the end before the period.
    Rename it in Windows Explorer with Quicken closed. Once renamed, double click on the file to start Quicken with that file, after that, it should find it on its own.

• metaguy
    metaguy Member
    Splasher - thanks so much. In explorer, copied file 22.1.14 and renamed new file to 220114. Opened Quicken and it came right up to 22.1.14. I don't know why, but it's working fine. Glad you're there.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the file name in the top left corner of the Quicken window has the periods "." in it, you did not open the renamed data file, but it opened the original.
    How did you start Quicken?  If you did not double-click on the renamed file, but used your regular Quicken icon, it opened the file based on the recent file list on the File menu.
    Personally, I named my data file "Current.qdf" and rename any copies I make of it for historical reasons, i.e. the file used for taxes, to have a different, meaningful name.

• metaguy
    metaguy Member
    Yes, it opened the original by clicking on my desktop shortcut. And that's ok as mainly it didn't go to "restore."
This discussion has been closed.