payments to credit card account not posting in quicken during update

pegloor
pegloor Member ✭✭
For several months, payments to my credit card accounts have not been downloaded to quicken during account on line update. I have to enter them manually. My cards are at different institutions (USBank and TIAA (eZcard), Key bank) and all have the same problem. Quicken Deluxe, Windows 10, R37.67
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are these payments created?
    1. Does the credit card company automatically debit your checking account?
    2. Do you write or print and mail a paper check to the credit card company?
    3. Do you use the checking account's website to make a bill pay payment?
    4. Do you use Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay or Check Pay to make payment?
    Which account is missing these payments?
    1. Only the checking account?
    2. Only the credit card account?
    3. Both?
    For best results I have always used Scheduled Reminders in Quicken to record these transactions as transfer from checking to credit card, in conjunction with Auto-Pay from the credit card company (they automatically debit my checking account on due date).
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    Thank you for taking the time to look at my problem.

The problem occurs for transactions that are being pulled by quicken from my bank via One-Step-Updates. Payments to my credit card from checking account are handled automatically by my bank, or by me using a manual transfer via my bank's website. All the transactions (in checking account and credit card) show up on my bank's website. The transaction for the payment from my checking account to my credit card is properly captured by Quicken showing a debit from my checking account. Even though it shows up on my bank's website, the payment transaction to my credit card in my credit card account is not captured by Quicken during the One-Step-Update. I have to enter them manually. This was not the case several months ago when everything worked properly. For some reason, these particular transactions are not being captured by quicken. I do not know if this problem started after a Quicken software update or not. I have it set for automatic Quicken software updates.

So, to specifically answer your questions.
    Does the credit card company automatically debit your checking account? - yes
    Do you write or print and mail a paper check to the credit card company? - no
    Do you use the checking account's website to make a bill pay payment? - yes
    Do you use Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay or Check Pay to make payment? - no

Which account is missing these payments?
    Only the checking account? - seems to properly transfer the transaction into checking account
    Only the credit card account? - misses pulling in the payment to the credit card.
    Both? - only credit card account problem.

I see no reason to set up scheduled reminders. I did not have to do that before, and I do not wish to do so now.
    For some reason, these particular transactions are not being captured by quicken during the One-Step-Updates (or if i specifically update transactions for a single account).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.
    It's quite possible that a software update / code change has altered some of these settings.
    I repeat my advice about using Scheduled Reminders for transfer transactions. What's already correctly recorded in your registers cannot be messed up by transaction downloads which Quicken, for whatever reason, is unable to properly recognize and record.
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    This problem appears to be the same issue as discussed here https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20218919#Comment_20218919. Other users have reported it as well.

I am using "express web connect" as the method.
    No error codes encountered.

I checked my Quicken settings. Seems to be as UKR suggests. I checked the Transfer Detection as well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Reading through this I have some observations/statements.
    1. The main reason to get reminder in, is because it creates the transaction that is linked between the two accounts, and later downloaded transactions can match to.  The advantage of this is that Quicken's "Transfer detection" which will link a deposit in one account to a withdraw another is nothing, but a guess based on the amount and the approximate date, so it can get it wrong.  If the correct transaction is in the register and matched, there isn't any guessing.  The flip side to that is if the amount of the reminder/manually entered transaction isn't exact one will end up having to manually match the two transactions.
    2. You are showing the preferences for "Data entry and QuickFill", whereas @UKR's suggestion to check preferences involves checking that and "Downloaded transactions" and "Transfer Detection".  I think the key one here is Transfer Detection.  As making sure it is on, and I STONGLY recommend that you have the confirm option on, because this is just a guess on Quicken's part.
    3. There isn't any setting in Quicken that says, "don't downloaded XXX type of transactions".  If the transactions are really not downloading, then that is something that has to be reported to Quicken support for them to track down why that isn't happening.  But given that this is happening for multiple financial institutions, and others aren't complaining about it (suggesting a general problem with Express Web Connect) I suspect you being fooled into believing that the transaction isn't being downloaded.  Either Transfer detection is off, or Transfer detection is linking up the wrong transactions.
    4. Your process seems to be to allow the downloads to be a deposit in one account and a withdraw in the other (no linking at this point) and have Quicken's transfer detection link the two.  I would like to point out that transfer detection doesn't kick in until the second (part) transaction is downloaded.  If the payment is from the financial institution, you might get both sides in the same One Step Update.  But if the payment and the credit card are from different financial institutions there is going to be a lag between download both sides and the transfer detection kicking in.  The "timing" of this is going to vary depending on just how you have arranged that payment.  I have all mine setup for automatic payments, so I see the payment in the credit card, before I see the payment in the checking account.  If one was to enter a bill pay payment, then I would actually expect the payment to show up in the checking account first and the credit card second.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. There is one more reason to use reminders.  Reminders are used on the Projected Balance graph, and as such by having these reminders in Quicken you can better judge your cashflow.
    Signature:
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW, thanks for your comments. Let me address them for clarity.

Regarding:

1) The main reason to get reminder in,....

I do not have any trouble remembering when my credit cards get paid. I also do not try to link the transactions between the accounts. I am only trying to reconcile each account individually.

2) You are showing the preferences for "Data entry and QuickFill", whereas @UKR's suggestion to check preferences involves checking that and "Downloaded transactions" and "Transfer Detection".....

UKR suggested a look at "Data entry & Quickfill" but I did not see anything out of the ordinary. I just looked at "downloaded transactions" (see attached) but I did not see anything out of the ordinary. I honestly think that Transfer Detection is irrelevant since i am not trying to link any accounts using quicken. I have tried with Transfer detection on and off. It does not pick up a transfer since it does not seem to download the transaction in the credit card account.

3) There isn't any setting in Quicken that says, "don't downloaded XXX type of transactions". ...

Actually this problem was previously reported by
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20218919#Comment_20218919. Other users have reported it as well.

4) Your process seems to be to allow the downloads to be a deposit in one account and a withdraw in the other (no linking at this point) and have Quicken's transfer detection link the two....

I am making no attempt to link the transactions in the accounts. I'm simply trying to reconcile both accounts individually.

I can see both the credit and the debit transactions on my bank's website (multiple cards and institutions). The debit transaction is downloaded to quicken. The credit transaction is not.

Did I capture/address your suggestions accurately?

Once again I thank you all for your help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    pegloor said:
    3) There isn't any setting in Quicken that says, "don't downloaded XXX type of transactions". ...

Actually this problem was previously reported by
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20218919#Comment_20218919. Other users have reported it as well.

I wasn't saying there isn't a possible problem, I was just saying that there isn't a setting in Quicken that controls "filter out transactions" kind of thing.

If your process doesn't involve linked transfers, then have you ensured that the Transfer detection is off?
    (You don't include a screenshot of that setting).

And just to confirm, a linking transfer look like this.  Say I'm in the checking account the category would look like [Credit Card Account].  Without the square brackets then you are using regular categories.

Even though most people like the linking transactions, they aren't absolutely required.
    Signature:
  • pegloor
    pegloor Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW, Thanks again for your insights. I will ensure the transfer detection is turned off. I have seen categories that look like [Credit Card Account]. I will test transfer detection=off with some payments, but probably not until the banks open again. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.