Quicken Payee unclear with PNC

When I log into my PNC Web account all the Descriptions on the transactions are clearly labeled. When I download them with Quicken the Payee is unclear. So can I fix this? I would like the description on the web to be whats shows up on Quicken.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @dgullett,

In general, we cannot control the formatting of downloaded transactions from financial institutions.  But there may be things you can do to to help.

One thing you can do is to potentially change your connection method to the account.  If the current connection method is "Express web Connect", I would suggest that you switch to "Direct Connect" as that is, in my view, a better method to connect/  Changing may also help to fix the description problem.

Another thing you should try is to use the "Renaming Rules".  First, go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Downloaded Transactions". Check the boxes as noted in the Snip below:

This should then give you the option of changing the names downloaded to the names you want to see in your Quicken registers.  If you haven't used this feature before, you may need to edit the rules that will be created as you go along, but this should hopefully make your downloads clearer going forward.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @dgullett

Okay - first question is - do you currently use PNC's Virtual Wallet?  If you do then you probably not be able to use Direct Connect.  If you are willing/able to disconnect (or unsubscribe) from Virtual Wallet, then do that first.  Then open the account register> click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and select "Edit Account Details".  Then click on the "Online Services Tab" and if there is a link to "Improve your connection" click on the and follow the instructions.  If there is no such link, you should hit the  Deactivate button > go through the deactivate process > then, after that is done, go back to the "Online Services Tab" and reconnect the account.

Let me know of you have any followups and also let me know how this all goes.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @dgullett,

In general, we cannot control the formatting of downloaded transactions from financial institutions.  But there may be things you can do to to help.

One thing you can do is to potentially change your connection method to the account.  If the current connection method is "Express web Connect", I would suggest that you switch to "Direct Connect" as that is, in my view, a better method to connect/  Changing may also help to fix the description problem.

Another thing you should try is to use the "Renaming Rules".  First, go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Downloaded Transactions". Check the boxes as noted in the Snip below:

This should then give you the option of changing the names downloaded to the names you want to see in your Quicken registers.  If you haven't used this feature before, you may need to edit the rules that will be created as you go along, but this should hopefully make your downloads clearer going forward.

Frankx

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you give an example of what it says on the website and what is downloaded? This could be a couple of different issues.

-- Generally checks do not identify the payee in downloads.
    -- Sometimes Quicken automatically renames payees and gets it wrong - you can turn this off if you want.
    -- You may have a renaming rule that is essing things up
    QWin Premier subscription
  • dgullett
    dgullett Member
    The renaming looks like it will work, thanks. The thing I was not aware of in renaming was a column called Downloaded payee. It was off in my view so I turned it on and now am setting up renaming rules.

Can you share the steps to change from "Express web Connect" to "Direct Connect"?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @dgullett

Okay - first question is - do you currently use PNC's Virtual Wallet?  If you do then you probably not be able to use Direct Connect.  If you are willing/able to disconnect (or unsubscribe) from Virtual Wallet, then do that first.  Then open the account register> click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and select "Edit Account Details".  Then click on the "Online Services Tab" and if there is a link to "Improve your connection" click on the and follow the instructions.  If there is no such link, you should hit the  Deactivate button > go through the deactivate process > then, after that is done, go back to the "Online Services Tab" and reconnect the account.

Let me know of you have any followups and also let me know how this all goes.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.