My fault - Quicken records/registers are completely inaccurate. Wish to start over.

Mahanta12
Mahanta12 Member ✭✭
We have a Deluxe version of Quicken (27.1.36.57) installed on 7-24-19. It doesn't have the automatic download feature linked with financial institution. Due to not reconciling things regularly and staying on top of balances, the current balances showing in the desktop register are grossly inaccurate. I would like to just zero out this account, install a new one, and start over using current bank balances. How would I go about this? I don't think upgrading the current version would help because the entries themselves would not be accurate when transferred over to new one. It's kind of a mess. I would really like to zero out or close the current desktop version and start fresh with a newer version, using current bank balances as a starting point. Does this make sense?

Answers

  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17
    If things are that messed up you can just start a new data file. You can do this by going to File > New Quicken File and then select "New Quicken File".  Give the new file a different name than what you are currently using. You will then be able to start completely from scratch with this new file
  • Mahanta12
    Mahanta12 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your reply. In reference to your answer to my question above, if I open the new file as suggested, what happen to the original file? I assume it just stays there on my desktop? We have never been on the subscription program. We simply installed the desktop version once and haven't paid for any updates. So we may be out of date, if that matters. Two questions: How would I start being able to link up with the financial institutions to the new file? And how do I access the feature of being able to use the mobile version on ipad/iphone? Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mahanta12 said:
    Thank you for your reply. In reference to your answer to my question above, if I open the new file as suggested, what happen to the original file? I assume it just stays there on my desktop? We have never been on the subscription program. We simply installed the desktop version once and haven't paid for any updates. So we may be out of date, if that matters. Two questions: How would I start being able to link up with the financial institutions to the new file? And how do I access the feature of being able to use the mobile version on ipad/iphone? Thanks.
    The previous Quicken file will persist until you delete it.

    R36.57 is a December 2021 US Subscription release.

    You would link the up the the financial institutions to registers in the new Quicken file the same way you would in the previous Quicken file.  You may add an online account register or enable the Online Services of an offline account register assuming the functionality is supported by the financial institution.

    Regarding the Quicken Mobile app, the new Quicken file would sync a new cloud account to the Quicken Cloud associated with your Quicken ID and you would switch the app to sync with the new cloud account.
  • Mahanta12
    Mahanta12 Member ✭✭
    Thanks.
    The previous Quicken file will persist until you delete it.> @Sherlock said:
    > The previous Quicken file will persist until you delete it.

    Will it still be functional, or could it be disabled?
    ____________________________________________________________________
    >
    > R36.57 is a December 2021 US Subscription release.

    How would we have received this? I don't believe we've paid anything to Quicken. As shown on my Control Panel the program was installed 7/24/19.
    >__________________________________________________________________
    > You would link the up the the financial institutions to registers in the new Quicken file the same way you would in the previous Quicken file.  You may add an online account register or enable the Online Services of an offline account register assuming the functionality is supported by the financial institution.

    I'm going to have someone helping me with this set up and help me learn how to manage it. She knows how to do this how to sync in the financial institutions.
    ____________________________________________________________________
    >
    > Regarding the Quicken Mobile app, the new Quicken file would sync a new cloud account to the Quicken Cloud associated with your Quicken ID and you would switch the app to sync with the new cloud account.

    Do I pay an extra cost to have this capability? From what I saw it is included in the Deluxe edition but we're not set up for that at all. All the entries in our register are done manually.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mahanta12 said:
    Thanks.
    The previous Quicken file will persist until you delete it.> @Sherlock said:
    > The previous Quicken file will persist until you delete it.

    Will it still be functional, or could it be disabled?

    It will still be functional.

    ____________________________________________________________________
    >
    > R36.57 is a December 2021 US Subscription release.

    How would we have received this? I don't believe we've paid anything to Quicken. As shown on my Control Panel the program was installed 7/24/19.
    The Quicken subscription may attempt to update itself when the program is opened.  You may also update Quicken using One Step Update or by downloading and applying an update patch.  Note: Anyone may install and update the Quicken subscription program.  A Quicken file maintains a certificate with an authenticated Quicken ID.  The status of the subscription associated with the Quicken ID determines the functionality available within the program.  To determine the status of the subscription associated with the Quicken ID in the Quicken file: select Help > Check Membership Status  To determine when an active subscription will expire: select Help > About Quicken

    >__________________________________________________________________
    > You would link the up the the financial institutions to registers in the new Quicken file the same way you would in the previous Quicken file.  You may add an online account register or enable the Online Services of an offline account register assuming the functionality is supported by the financial institution.

    I'm going to have someone helping me with this set up and help me learn how to manage it. She knows how to do this how to sync in the financial institutions.
    ____________________________________________________________________
    >
    > Regarding the Quicken Mobile app, the new Quicken file would sync a new cloud account to the Quicken Cloud associated with your Quicken ID and you would switch the app to sync with the new cloud account.

    Do I pay an extra cost to have this capability? From what I saw it is included in the Deluxe edition but we're not set up for that at all. All the entries in our register are done manually.
    There is no extra cost to have this capability. The functionality to sync both offline and online registers with the Quicken Cloud is included in all Quicken desktop editions.
  • Mahanta12
    Mahanta12 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock superuser (above) says: "You would link up the financial institutions to registers in the new Quicken file the same way you would in the previous Quicken file. You may add an online account register or enable the Online Services of an offline account register assuming the functionality is supported by the financial institution."

    So I have looked at the Quicken file we are now using (Deluxe) and I don't see where there's an option to link this up. Since I haven't done this with our existing file, I don't understand how to do it for the new file. The tabs across the top of my current file are: File, Edit, View, Tools, Mobile & Web, Report and Help. Using the drop-down menu under "help" and clicking on "check for updates", I see an option to update to a newer version. Is this the same thing as the "Mondo patch"? Is this what I need? If I do update and install the patch, should I wait and do that after I start the new file? I'm worried if I install it in my current (or what will become my "old" file), that it may wipe out some data or it may shift how things look on the page. Would that happen? NEXT: Later, after the update and patch are installed, where do I go to begin syncing with financial institutions? I see a "Mobile and Web" tab, but I don't want to add that feature to my mobile device, so I don't think that's what I want. I just want to add it to my PC. Does this make sense? Any helpful suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mahanta12 said:
    Sherlock superuser (above) says: "You would link up the financial institutions to registers in the new Quicken file the same way you would in the previous Quicken file. You may add an online account register or enable the Online Services of an offline account register assuming the functionality is supported by the financial institution."

    So I have looked at the Quicken file we are now using (Deluxe) and I don't see where there's an option to link this up. Since I haven't done this with our existing file, I don't understand how to do it for the new file. The tabs across the top of my current file are: File, Edit, View, Tools, Mobile & Web, Report and Help. Using the drop-down menu under "help" and clicking on "check for updates", I see an option to update to a newer version. Is this the same thing as the "Mondo patch"? Is this what I need? If I do update and install the patch, should I wait and do that after I start the new file? I'm worried if I install it in my current (or what will become my "old" file), that it may wipe out some data or it may shift how things look on the page. Would that happen? NEXT: Later, after the update and patch are installed, where do I go to begin syncing with financial institutions? I see a "Mobile and Web" tab, but I don't want to add that feature to my mobile device, so I don't think that's what I want. I just want to add it to my PC. Does this make sense? Any helpful suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
    To add an online account register or enable the Online Services of an offline account register, select Tools > Add Account....  After you have authenticated with the financial institution, Quicken should provide a list of the accounts available and allow you to add a new register or link the account to an appropriate existing offline register.

    You're already at the latest version of the program (R36.57). Note: The R37 is being gamma tested. 

    We may update the Quicken program a few ways.  The program may attempt to update itself when you open it.  We may ask Quicken to update itself from within the program (for example, select Help > Download Latest Version). We may use a browser to download and apply a Mondo patch.  Note: Before Quicken updates itself, Quicken saves a backup of the current Quicken file in the automatic backup director.

    We may download and import transactions a few ways.  If the Online Services of an account register uses either the Direct Connect connection method or the Express Web Connect connection method, we may select Tools > One Step Update or press Ctrl + 1, or we may open a register and use the Actions pull-down menu (press Ctrl + Shift + N). 
This discussion has been closed.