Can I filter a report to see only the "Contribution" type transactions for a 529 plan?

Options
Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Bottom line on top: Could anyone share how they customize a report for a 529 plan so as to show only the Contributions and no other types of transactions (such as Withdrawals or Realized Gains)?

Over several years, I have meticulously registered every transaction for each of my 4 children's separate 529 plans. Now, I'd like to be able to readily see how much my wife & I have contributed to each child's college savings plan. But I can't figure out how to filter out the other types of transactions so as to show only the amounts that we put in.

I am betting that other Quicken Users may have also wanted to achieve this same goal, and perhaps someone already figured out how -- and will (hopefully) share their approach. Thanks much. (In case it's useful, I am using Quicken Premier R37.67)
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you use a customized Investment Transactions report: Select Reports > Investing Transactions and press Alt + C

Note:  We may filter the types of transactions on the Action tab.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you use a customized Investment Transactions report: Select Reports > Investing Transactions and press Alt + C

Note:  We may filter the types of transactions on the Action tab.
  • Jim Ryan
    Jim Ryan Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, Sherlock. That approach did enable me to achieve my goal, so I greatly appreciate your help!

Additionally, just in case it's useful for anyone else, I discovered that using Sherlock's recommended approach and filtering by Action=XIn was "necessary, but not sufficient". In my case, because of the way that I had entered some [but not all] of these contribution-type transactions, I also had to select Action=BoughtX (and notice the "X" at the end).

That is because, with some of my contribution-type transactions, I had used a 2-step process (by first transferring cash into my 529 account and then making separate Buy transactions). But in other cases, I had used a 1-step process for my Buy transactions by directly using cash from another account.

But I couldn't just filter by selecting Action=Bought (notice without an "X" at the end) because that would then include non-contribution-type transactions (e.g., from Dividends and Realized Gains), which I wanted to avoid.
This discussion has been closed.