Again. In a new mutual fund, I entered the data manually. The calculated $ value is wrong ?

Hawkeye
Hawkeye Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Windows)
A few weeks ago I asked why the "Securities Value" did not accurately reflect the data that I input. The answer was that Quicken was pulling new data from the internet for that mutual fund. My example used a value of $100/share. Since then I erased the original example and input new data. The "Securities Value" again used $100/share, rather than the correct share value. Hence 716.75 shares became $71,675. I looked in the "Investing" section of Quicken. I found this mutual fund had a listed value of $149.83 on 1/19/22, but an inaccurate value of $100/share on 1/25/2022. Is there something else that I need to correct to avoid future inaccurate "Securities Value"

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken uses the most recent price in its price history for a security to compute the security's current value. Here is how to view and correct the price history.

From the transaction list in your screenshot, click on Holdings then click on the name of the security (It will be blue). This displays the Security Detail view for the security. 

On the left, make sure the Symbol for the security is correct. If not, click on Edit Details and correct it. This is the symbol Quicken will use to update its quote data.

Back at the Security Detail view, click on More then Edit Price History. If there are any recent erroneous values, select and delete them, then click on the X to return to the Security Detail view.

To get Quicken's most recent quote for the security, click on Update. Quotes for mutual funds are usually available around 7 PM Eastern time on days when the market is open.

To see the market value on other dates, go back to the Holdings view and change the As of date. 

To enable the security for price updates from elsewhere in Quicken, go to Tools > Security List, find the security in the list and make sure its Download Quotes box is checked. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't directly comment on where the $100/sh price came from for 1/25/22.  But anytime you enter a 'share' transaction on a date for a security, the price for that date gets entered into the price-history for that security.  By 'share' transaction, I am meaning mainly Buys, Sells, and Reinvestment as transactions that alter the number of shares you own.  There may be a couple of other similar transactions I am not thinking of right now.

Also, erasing the 'original example' ... not sure how comprehensive you did that or meant that.  I will point out that the price history data for a tickered security is separate from the other data about that security.  You can actually delete a security in Quicken, then create a new security using that prior ticker, and that new security will take on the deleted security's price history.  In this context, if you had a price of $100 entered for your security on a specific date, deleted that security, added a new security with that same ticker, the new security would have the $100 value for that date. 

Also, in that same context, the price entered into the price-history records from a transaction is the low-price on the totem pole hierarchy.  A price from ANY other source will override (replace) a price in the records from a transaction. 

So again, I can't see what you are doing to get these prices recorded the way you are, but you should be able to delete them from the price history records or override them from other sources and move forward.      
This discussion has been closed.