Entering Deposits

Jim2h
Jim2h Member
When entering a deposit it shows up as a debit requiring me to go back and change the minus sign to a plus sign.

Why can't Quicken automatically take any deposit entry and enter it as plus to an account

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Jim2h said:
    When entering a deposit it shows up as a debit requiring me to go back and change the minus sign to a plus sign.

Why can't Quicken automatically take any deposit entry and enter it as plus to an account
    Hello @Jim2h,

I am sorry for any frustration you may have experienced. I thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community for additional support and discussion.

Are you using spending categories to enter your deposits? If so, this is likely the cause for the amount to display as negative. Is there any way you could provide a screenshot so that we can further diagnose this problem?

I look forward to any reply you may be able to provide, should you have the chance to check back in with us. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what kind of account you are entering it in.  Is it a checking account?  Or it may be  using a prior  transaction from that payer that was a charge.   

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Jared Why is this thread tagged as an "announcement", thus at the top of the home page?

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Jared Why is this thread tagged as an "announcement", thus at the top of the home page?
    I thnk the button is just there - maybe for all users - and the OP flipped it -
    I flipped it OFF

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @MontanaKarl

Thank you for drawing that to my attention. It has been corrected. 

Best regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Jim2h Getting back to your original problem, could you describe how the deposit entry is being made. Is this a transaction you are entering manually? What Category are you using? Quicken doesn't know what transactions are deposits and which are payments other than by the category.

One thing you might find useful is changing your register set-up to have two separate columns, one for deposits and one for payments. That way, you never have to be concerned about a positive or negative number, nor which account is being used. To do this, click on the Columns icon in the bottom toolbar of the register, unchecked the Amount box, and check the Payment and Deposit boxes. Now you'll see the two columns instead of the single Amount column.

(Note: when you change register columns, it only affects the register you have open, not other account registers; if you decide you like this arrangement, you have to set it up in the other accounts as well. You can copy the column settings to other accounts of the same type, so if this is a checking account, at the bottom of the Columns menu you'll see and option to "Apply to all Cash accounts". But you'll have to make the change to two columns in a credit card account, and then "Apply to all Credit Card accounts" if you two columns in all your accounts. One more note: in different types of accounts, the two columns have different names: for a checking account, it's "Payment" and "Deposit", while for a credit card account it's "Charge" and "Payment", and a cash account has "Spend" and "Receive"; it's always some version of "money in" and "money out", just using the appropriate term based on the type of the account.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.