Regarding asset allocation mixed class in cash?

JRW1
JRW1 Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Investing (Windows)
In my asset allocation chart, it seems that mutual funds that are mixed allocation for example 68% large cap and 32% small cap are showing allocated to cash in the allocation pie chart. In a portfolio view sorted on class it shows in asset mixture. This is a new problem so it may be a setting change I made accidentally. I also notice on the holdings screen for the account containing this fund there is an asterisk and placeholder note, but there are no placeholder entries to resolve shown in the section at the bottom. Related?
Windows 8.1 r3767
Any thoughts appreciated, have a great day

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

To make placeholders visible, go to Edit > Preferences > Investment Transactions and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. 

Placeholders will have a gray background in the account’s transaction list (register) even if they are not selected, and will have “Entry” in the Action column.

The Placeholders tab in the downloaded transactions area sometimes does not update when it should.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my asset allocation chart, ... 

What chart are you actually going to?  A Home View, Reports / Investing / Asset Allocation, a saved report, Investment Tab / Asset Allocation, somewhere else? 

Yes, portfolio views do not break down the mixed-class assets into their various components, instead grouping them under Asset Mixture.  This is somewhat inconsistent with the other presentations on asset allocation.

If you look at the security details for that mutual fund, does it show the 68/32 breakdown?  Such data in Quicken sometimes gets out of synch with the real world.  

Does this issue apply to all your mutual funds, or only select ones?

I doubt this is related to the possible placeholder issue - but I've been proven wrong before on things like that. 

• JRW1
    JRW1 Member ✭✭
    Jim, Thanks. That did reveal some small and old hidden placeholders. I don't think that they were related.

Lurker,
    I am looking at the pie chart under Investing>allocations where your allocation is compared to your target allocation. The security detail does show the 68/32. Now I have noticed that if I create a allocation report it does breakout the portions of the mutual fund properly to their classes.

But not in actual comparison to target pie charts. I am sure it formerly did because I like to monitor changes to my allocation vs my target and look at that fairly frequently.

Thanks for your help
  • Jim_Harman
    Have you taken advantage of the new capability to define your own asset classes - midcap or precious metals or something in addition to the standard ones?

I think that causes problems with the Asset Allocation chart.
  • Jim_Harman
    Also on the Asset Allocation page, make sure you have selected the correct accounts and securities. Don't rely on "All securities" to select them all; select Custom and make sure the ones you want are selected.
  • JRW1
    JRW1 Member ✭✭
    Jim,
    Thanks the problem was caused by the all securities/accounts selection. I think I had used the custom / select all button and then removed anything I didn't want. But now I have selected them individually and that seems to have fixed the problem. I have not tried the custom asset classes but I will. I think I will like that better. Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.