Quicken and Windows 11

mrzookie
mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
Some feedback for those who may be contemplating moving to WIN 11. 

I upgraded today and am happy to report that after about 90 minutes of testing various functions in Quicken (Premier R37.67), I've not found any problems. Important functions such as downloading transactions from multiple institutions (via direct connect, I can't try EW until tomorrow), editing transactions, reminders, budgets, tax planner, lifetime planner are all working OK. I ran several reports and saw no issues, and was able to print as well. Some drill-downs in the new Budget Dashboards are landing on the wrong transactions, but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with Win 11. Hovers still work as does the Portfolio X-Ray. Same for backups and file validation. The only problem I've noticed so far is inconsistencies in scrollbars and their shades of color throughout the app. Some are flat, some are thin, the former light gray, the latter darker. Minor league stuff.

I also want to mention that I have an ultra hi-rez screen on a 14" laptop. A lot of folks have experienced big problems with UHD and Quicken. I, fortunately, haven't, and can confirm that WIN 11 hasn't introduced any new ones.

One major function I don't use is Quicken Bill Pay, so no feedback there. Sorry.

The only reason I didn't upgrade earlier was my concern about Quicken. The fear was unfounded. I'll follow up with another post if anything comes up.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Like any major update there will always be some people that have problems.  The problems aren’t really from the upgrade itself, but from some “condition” that is special to that machine/setup.

But what is going to show up consistently is the fact that Quicken uses many different APIs and they don’t conform to standard practices.  You have pointed out a few of these with the scroll bars and coloring.  Ironically there is a release note that says they just updated the scroll bars to be “consistent”.  Clearly though they are mixing scroll bars that don’t change to match the operating system (non investment account registers) with ones that do (investment account registers).

You can see the non standard Main window frame where it doesn’t exactly size correctly (one pixel short at the top) and is still sizing based on the main display instead of the display it is on.  Also the title bar doesn’t follow what the user has set for coloring.  And new for Windows 11, if you hover over the maximize/restore button it doesn’t give you the new snap to options.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW

All true. Code-wise, Q is a giant bowl of spaghetti, and that would be squid ink spaghetti. Given that, its even more of a pleasant surprise that it works as well as it does on WIN 11. Or, perhaps, MS really didn't change as much as I expected. The upgrade process was absolutely flawless and I've not had any problems at all with devices, peripherals or any programs, which tells me there was less tinkering than I thought, or a much improved dev/testing process. In any case, hat tip to both Q and MS for a good user experience.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I decided to remove this comment.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark E said: Quicken had to have early access to beta releases of Win 11, to do their regression and feature testing on. They have to have a quality assurance group that is testing each new quicken patch release.
    They have enough trouble just trying to keep the current product running on Win 10
    You would think....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.