Why is Quicken using CPU when I'm not using it?

Quicken uses about 25% CPU when idle. As soon as I start using it, CPU drops to almost 0%. Task manager shows this consistently. As I write this, CPU is 0%. Click the Quicken task bar icon and CPU jumps to 25%.

Answers

• Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    I updated to R38.29 about 30 minutes ago and Quicken has been using 20 to 30 percent CPU on my i5 Windows 10 Pro ever since even though I haven't done anything on it. Is the update doing some huge job in background? Or is there a bug somewhere?
  • Mike Mierzwa
    Mike Mierzwa Member ✭✭
    Not sure, but I think this bug was introduced in the update just prior to R38.29.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Not sure what is going on with your install but on idle, Quicken is using between 0% and 0.5%. More often at 0% on my i3 Win 11 setup.  You might want to open Windows Resource Monitor to take a deeper look at what process or network operation might be causing the high CPU usage.
  • Mike Mierzwa
    Mike Mierzwa Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Here's my scenario:
    1. Open Quicken. Processor goes to about 25% and stays there.
    2. Click some other app, say Chrome. Quicken processor drops to 0%.
    3. Click Quicken from task bar to make current. There goes the processor to 25%.
    It appears Quicken must be the current app opened for this to occur. Focus on some other app and the processor drops to 0%.
    Other resources are not showing any excess. See attached screen snip.
    Hope this explains the issue.
    Just noticed: While in Quicken, click on the menu bar (any option)...example "Help". Processor goes 0%
    BTW...if only one monitor, to view task manager and Quicken together, in task manager, click options>Always on top. I have three monitors, so this isn't an issue.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    I had to reload Quicken this AM because there was a Red flag indicating that there were downloads ready to be accepted in my CC account, but the window used to accept the downloads from would not open to show what downloads were waiting. I also had trouble downloading Quicken and had to try a second time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would reinstall Quicken.  Things like this tend to happen when the install goes a bit wrong.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • curtiswitt
    curtiswitt Member ✭✭
    I"m seeing the exact same behavior with Quicken 38.29 running on Windows 11. This isn't an isolated case.
  • curtiswitt
    curtiswitt Member ✭✭
    I can confirm that downloading and reinstalling Quicken -- same 38.29 version -- solved this. CPU is idle now when Quicken is open. @Chris_QPW was right on here. Thanks!
  • Mike Mierzwa
    Mike Mierzwa Member ✭✭
    2nd confirmation. Reinstall fixed it.
  • VirgilB
    VirgilB Member ✭✭
    RELEASE R38.29 NEEDS TO BE DESTROYED - NOTHING BUT CRASHES
  • Mike Mierzwa
    Mike Mierzwa Member ✭✭
    Try the reinstall. I think they fixed something but kept the release number the same.
  • A few of us are having more severe problems with updates at the end of last year - I can't get anything to run past November's releases. And the crashes come with incredibly high CPU and power usage.
  • Mike Mierzwa
    Mike Mierzwa Member ✭✭
    Downloaded mine directly from Quicken. Do you have an account set up with Quicken?
This discussion has been closed.