How to enter a new spin-off stock EXC CEG

Options
jackcutrone
jackcutrone Member
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I own some Exelon. It just spun off a portion of its value to a new company. For my 150 shares of Exelon, I got 50 shares of a new company, Constellation, is addition to owning the now devalued 150 shares of Exelon. How do I handle that in Quicken?
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest you use the Corporate Securities Spin-Off wizard: open the register, press Ctrl + N, select Corporate Securities Spin-Off in the Enter transaction: pull-down menu
  • jackcutrone
    Options
    The result was that it added the shares of the new stock to the ledger for the old stock. I had anticipated that it would create a new account in the name of the new stock which is what I would prefer. As it is, I am now getting one value for the combined value of both stocks. I also can't figure out how to calculate the cost basis of the new stock. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • jackcutrone
    Options
    I did find the cost basis on a different screen but would still like to have the new stock as a separate account. Any ideas?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I did find the cost basis on a different screen but would still like to have the new stock as a separate account. Any ideas?
    So you are keeping each security in its own account?  I consider that rather inefficient, but that is your choice. 
    From where you are now, I would create the new account for CEG shares and MOVE the CEG transactions to the new account. Rt-click on a CEG transaction and select the move option. 
    Or reconsider that account / security setup. 
  • jackcutrone
    Options
    I'll think that through. Thanks
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 8937 was finally posted. They used average of high and low prices on 2/2/2022 to arrive at an allocation:

EXC 70.36%
    CEG 29.64%

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.