CAPITAL ONE 360 ADDS PHANTOM OPENING BALANCE

Options
I finally was able to authorize my Capital One 360 accounts under the new Express Web Connection +. However, when I downloaded, I notice the balance was off a significant amount.  Turns out that Quicken added a new "opening balance" of $29,957 and stuck it (hid it) way back in 2006 which is when the account was created.  The actual opening balance was zero and the first deposit followed shortly thereafter and was for a different amount than the phantom balance.  I deleted it the phantom balance on the account balance in Quicken matched the one online.

Anyone else get a phantom opening balance added to their account?

Comments

• Jeff Nicoll
    Jeff Nicoll Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    This is happening frequently to my checking account.  It happened once with my credit card, but that seems to have stopped.  I know Quicken is changing it because I ALWAYS use an opening balance of $0.00 whenever I create a new account and have been doing it this way for 20 years.  Well, 17. 
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I finally was able to authorize my Capital One 360 accounts under the new Express Web Connection +. However, when I downloaded, I notice the balance was off a significant amount.  Turns out that Quicken added a new "opening balance" of $29,957 and stuck it (hid it) way back in 2006 which is when the account was created.  The actual opening balance was zero and the first deposit followed shortly thereafter and was for a different amount than the phantom balance.  I deleted it the phantom balance on the account balance in Quicken matched the one online.

Anyone else get a phantom opening balance added to their account?
    Hello @Jeffrey Wilens,   

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community about this trouble with opening balances. I am sorry that you are experiencing this problem with an extra opening balance transaction.

Just so I am clear, are you still receiving this phantom transaction upon subsequent One Step Updates? Have you noticed any other duplicate transactions of any kind? If the answer to either of these questions is 'yes,' I would first recommend restoring from a backup file just prior to when you noticed this program behavior. You can save backups anytime by going to File > Copy or Backup File - we recommend doing this frequently - and you can also restore by them by going into the same menu at the top of the screen and selecting File > Restore a Backup File

One other question: do you notice the phrase 'live opening balance' in any of the older transactions in your register?

I look forward to your response, should you have the chance to drop by the Quicken Community and follow up with us about this matter.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.