Edit drop-down list when categorizing a transaction

Stormy
Stormy Member
How would I eliminate some of the suggestions on the drop-down menu that appears when I categorize a transaction? I have a confusing blather of suggestions that have probably been used in the past but that I no longer need or use.
Tagged:

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    There's no way to eliminate categories from the dropdown list other than to delete them entirely, which would mean re-categorizing the old transactions that used them.

You might want to add your vote to this suggestion.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    As a workaround, you can edit the name of any in-use categories you're no longer actively using to start with a "z" so they sort to the bottom of the list.

Also, if you open the Categories window (menu Window > Categories), you can click the three-dots-in-a-circle icon at the bottom left and choose Remove Unused Categories from the popup menu to remove any categories that are not used in any transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you have some categories which are similar from misspellings or accidentally creating categories which duplicate each other, you can merge two or more categories into one in the Window > Categories screen.

For example, if you have a "Bank Fee" category and a "Bank Late Fee" category and want to eliminate one, click one, Command-click the other, and click Merge Categories at the bottom of the scree; the pop-up window will ask you to select which of those the other is merged into.

Note that this will change all your existing transactions which use the category you're eliminating into the one you're keeping, so your old transactions remain 
    categorized using the category you've retained.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • What strokes are "Command-click"
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Command-click is used throughout the macOS user interface to select multiple noncontiguous items in a list. Here's how it works:
    1. Click the first item you want selected to select/highlight it.
    2. Hold down the Command/Apple key on the keyboard while clicking the second item. Now both items will be selected.
    3. If you want more than 2 items selected, you can continue to command-click more items to add them to the selection.
    When you select two categories in the list this way, the Merge button will become available to merge the two categories.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.