How do I disconnect bank and credit card downloads for just one account?

Options
d.gerety.
d.gerety. Member ✭✭
I've created a new Account for 2022. I want to prevent new bank/credit card transactions from showing up in 2021 and previous years. If I disconnect the bank links and/or mark them as Closed, will that affect my 2022 account? I suspect it will and, while I'm tempted to try it to see, I'd rather ask the experts and not have to reconnect them.
Thank you very much,
DG

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, DG:

I suspect that none of the "experts" will know for sure as few (if any) of us close/create new accounts each year-we let the data build which is what makes Quicken's historical tracking useful. Breaking the data up defeats a major purpose of using Quicken. 

In theory, it should work; closed accounts can't download. And you can then link to the new account you have setup (but you likely will have overlapping historical data presented from the bank from 2021-you would have to deal with that.) 

You will have to try and let us how it works out. But, it really won't hurt things if you unclose that old account and let the transactions build in that old register. :smile:

• d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks, John. You're right. It can't hurt to try and see what happens. I, too, would prefer to let all the years of data run continuous. But as one who tries a product first and then reads the instructions, I got to the point where I just had to make major changes to the categories to keep my wife from strangling me come tax prep time. The simplest way to do that and not screw up the previous years' worth of data was to start fresh. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to just let 2022 transactions add to 2021's and earlier, but I don't like to see duplicates. I still think of them as taking up space on the drive, from when my first computer had a whopping 10MB of storage.
    Thanks again,
    David

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi, DG:

I suspect that none of the "experts" will know for sure as few (if any) of us close/create new accounts each year-we let the data build which is what makes Quicken's historical tracking useful. Breaking the data up defeats a major purpose of using Quicken. 

In theory, it should work; closed accounts can't download. And you can then link to the new account you have setup (but you likely will have overlapping historical data presented from the bank from 2021-you would have to deal with that.) 

You will have to try and let us how it works out. But, it really won't hurt things if you unclose that old account and let the transactions build in that old register. :smile:

• d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks, John. You're right. It can't hurt to try and see what happens. I, too, would prefer to let all the years of data run continuous. But as one who tries a product first and then reads the instructions, I got to the point where I just had to make major changes to the categories to keep my wife from strangling me come tax prep time. The simplest way to do that and not screw up the previous years' worth of data was to start fresh. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to just let 2022 transactions add to 2021's and earlier, but I don't like to see duplicates. I still think of them as taking up space on the drive, from when my first computer had a whopping 10MB of storage.
    Thanks again,
    David
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @d.gerety. I don't see how having a single account in Quicken for your bank account creates any "duplicates" compared to two separate accounts one for 2021 transactions and one for 2022 transactions. Every transaction received from your bank is one transaction in Quicken; there are no duplicates. So even though there's no reason disk space is an issue in this era, I don't even see how what you're describing would save a single byte of data. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I don't see any problem with setting up a new account for 2022. You'll have to turn off downloads for the 2021 account before you can turn them on for the 2022 account - AFAIK you can only connect a bank account to one account in Quicken. If you're worried about old 2021 transactions getting downloaded into your 2022 account, there's no way to set a time limit on that in Quicken - it gets whatever the bank sends. But if you do get any, just delete them. Quicken is smart enough to remember that it saw those transactions in the past & won't re-add them the next time they're downloaded; it's a one-time problem which is easily fixed.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.