How do your enter a STASH account in Home & Business version??

Dawn
Dawn Member
How do you enter and set up accounts for a STASH transaction In Home & Business version of Quicken? There is cash in the Green Dot Bank and a debit card and investments in this bitcoin process. Any suggestions? Any way to update from the bank account also?

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    As far as I can see from my quick fly-over the STASH account is an investment account where you can buy fractional shares and crypto so I'd just set up an Investment Account in Quicken called "STASH."  You'd presumably move (transfer) money out of checking and into that Account and then use that cash to buy whatever securities and crypto you're purchasing. 
    It looks like you'd also need to create a checking Account, and move money into it, to get the Stock-Back debit card.  Your use of the debit card would simply be accounted for as reductions in the cash in the Green Dot checking account as with any other debit card.  Presumably the bank will tell you the dollar amount of "rewards" earned periodically and how that translates into fractional shares that eventually get placed in the STASH account.  There's various ways you might account for this "reward" activity and the details depend on how the information gets reported to you.  Leaving out the details for the time being, you'd eventually end up with various stocks with a cost basis of $X with an offset to what would amount to a "contra" expense Category (i.e,, an expense Category that would show up in Spending reports in red negative numbers) to show the amount of rewards earned for a period.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    As far as I can see from my quick fly-over the STASH account is an investment account where you can buy fractional shares and crypto so I'd just set up an Investment Account in Quicken called "STASH."  You'd presumably move (transfer) money out of checking and into that Account and then use that cash to buy whatever securities and crypto you're purchasing. 
    It looks like you'd also need to create a checking Account, and move money into it, to get the Stock-Back debit card.  Your use of the debit card would simply be accounted for as reductions in the cash in the Green Dot checking account as with any other debit card.  Presumably the bank will tell you the dollar amount of "rewards" earned periodically and how that translates into fractional shares that eventually get placed in the STASH account.  There's various ways you might account for this "reward" activity and the details depend on how the information gets reported to you.  Leaving out the details for the time being, you'd eventually end up with various stocks with a cost basis of $X with an offset to what would amount to a "contra" expense Category (i.e,, an expense Category that would show up in Spending reports in red negative numbers) to show the amount of rewards earned for a period.
This discussion has been closed.