do I HAVE TO use quicken cloud "to import my windows data file" into quicken mac

mikestone
mikestone Member ✭✭
thanks everyone for your quick responses.. im migrating my windows quicken to my mac. there is a tricky worded prompt now..."Do you want to use Quicken Cloud to securely import your Quicken Windows file?"

I read that as ... quicken wants to upload my entire history of personal transactions (in windows format) onto their server to 'reformat' it so I can then start quicken mac and have all my transactions/accounts in place.

I DONT want my personal data to leave my machines... is there a a way to have quicken do the file convert locally?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Short answer: no, this is the only way.

However, the upload of your data to a Quicken server is just for part of the conversion process, and the file is deleted as soon as the converted data has been downloaded back to your local computer. None of your data stays on the Quicken Cloud server. This is not the same as enabling Quicken Cloud Sync so your data is accessible online for the mobile app and web interface. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Short answer: no, this is the only way.

However, the upload of your data to a Quicken server is just for part of the conversion process, and the file is deleted as soon as the converted data has been downloaded back to your local computer. None of your data stays on the Quicken Cloud server. This is not the same as enabling Quicken Cloud Sync so your data is accessible online for the mobile app and web interface. 
  • mikestone
    mikestone Member ✭✭
    @jacobs thanks but im not sure that is true... Im llooking at onliine support (screen shot attached) and it says that a quicken windows converter will be downloaded to my machine to do the conversion.... yet when i go thru the install steps... I dont see the same message, so i aborted. I really want to have this quicken windows converter running on my machine
  • mikestone
    mikestone Member ✭✭
    i'll post it as a new question because im not sure if comments get visability like new questions do. thx
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Posting basically the same question multiple times makes harder for people to follow the conversation, please don't do it in the future unless you are really asking a different question.  Which in this case your aren't.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    @mikestone Okay, I answered your question above, and Chris and I have now both answered in the other thread you created.

Just to clarify one thing: the screen shot you posted clearly shows it references Quicken 2016. A lot has changed over 5+ years; in this case, the change in macOS from a 32-bit to 64-bit operating system is why there is no longer a downloadable program for local data conversions. This was a pretty major concern when Apple was making that leap in 2019. Quicken came up with the idea of running virtual Windows and Mac 32-bit environments on a server to they could continue to import/convert data files, and I think it was pretty ingenious. People have been using the current method for the past two and a half years without any reported problems. 
This discussion has been closed.