How do you edit data in a brokerage account i.e. the # of shares?

pcuhl
pcuhl Member
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I incorrectly entered the wrong number of shares of a mutual fund when I created a new investment - brokerage account. I do not see anywhere where I can fix the incorrect data.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @pcuhl

You should be able to edit the initial entry you made.  Open up the brokerage account register in Quicken and find the first entry.  If you click on the entry, you should see an "Edit" button within the highlighted entry.  If you click on the button, it will open up a window where you can change the number of shares to the correct number.

Let me know f you have any followups.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you select the investing account, do you see a list of transactions, or just a dashboard?

If it is a dashboard, click the gear at the top right of the account then Edit Account Details. Under Tracking method, select Complete.

Once you can see the Transaction List, look at the transactions. There might be a Placeholder or an Added transaction that has the incorrect number of shares. Select that transaction then Edit to make any corrections.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @pcuhl,

Yes there could be a difference in valuation due to the potential change in the share price between the time when you bought the shares and the closing price of the shares when the market closed.  Just make sure that the "cost basis" of the shares you bought agrees to the total amount that you actually paid when you bought the shares.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @pcuhl

You should be able to edit the initial entry you made.  Open up the brokerage account register in Quicken and find the first entry.  If you click on the entry, you should see an "Edit" button within the highlighted entry.  If you click on the button, it will open up a window where you can change the number of shares to the correct number.

Let me know f you have any followups.

Frankx 

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you select the investing account, do you see a list of transactions, or just a dashboard?

If it is a dashboard, click the gear at the top right of the account then Edit Account Details. Under Tracking method, select Complete.

Once you can see the Transaction List, look at the transactions. There might be a Placeholder or an Added transaction that has the incorrect number of shares. Select that transaction then Edit to make any corrections.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • pcuhl
    pcuhl Member
    Thanks - this pointed me in the right direction - and I then used Update Share Balance - identified the ETF - then adjusted the shares. I then looked at my "Holdings" list and the corrected shares were displayed.
    I think I'm OK - altough if I "bought" the shares today there might be a sligh difference in overall valuation?
    ANyway - really apreciate your help.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @pcuhl,

Yes there could be a difference in valuation due to the potential change in the share price between the time when you bought the shares and the closing price of the shares when the market closed.  Just make sure that the "cost basis" of the shares you bought agrees to the total amount that you actually paid when you bought the shares.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.