Direct Connect with Capital One

Jeanne
Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
This is now worse than it was in my December post. I have been stuck with downloading transactions in a file. Now I was able to deactivate. But when I try to set up any updating again, Quicken just freezes. I have to go out to Windows Task Manager to kill it. I went thru this routine three times today, using different routes (editing in the Account List and choosing to set-up from the register). Is there any hope of ever Direct Connecting Capital One accounts?

I have only one CapitalOne credit card. Nothing else.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    What version are you running?  You can get this information from Help > About Quicken.  I ask because of a recent Announcement that people who are not running "the latest version" as of 2/27 might have connection/setup issues (New Online Banking Processes Will Require Latest Version Release (Windows & Mac - U.S. Subscribers).  The "latest version" at that time was R38.30 so if you are running something older than that you will need to update it to at least R38.30 (Help > Check for Updates).
    Also, there have been some reported issues when trying to set up Online Services via Set Up Now (which is what set up from the register and Edit Account Details uses).  You might want to try the following instead: 
    • Add Account > Capital One Card Services > Next > follow the prompts.  This is how my Cap One Quicksilver credit card account is set up and it has been working pretty well for me for a long time.
    • During the setup process, you might be prompted to decide what to do with the downloaded data.  Make sure you link it to your existing account in Quicken.
    • During this account setup process Quicken might enter transactions into the account register that are duplicates of what is already there.  If this happens, the duplicates will need to be manually deleted.  If this happens it will be just a one time event...should not happen, again, with future data downloads.
    Did this resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Capital One does not support Direct Connect downloads.  Please check what is shown for the account on the Account List (Tools menu).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    What version are you running?  You can get this information from Help > About Quicken.  I ask because of a recent Announcement that people who are not running "the latest version" as of 2/27 might have connection/setup issues (New Online Banking Processes Will Require Latest Version Release (Windows & Mac - U.S. Subscribers).  The "latest version" at that time was R38.30 so if you are running something older than that you will need to update it to at least R38.30 (Help > Check for Updates).
    Also, there have been some reported issues when trying to set up Online Services via Set Up Now (which is what set up from the register and Edit Account Details uses).  You might want to try the following instead: 
    • Add Account > Capital One Card Services > Next > follow the prompts.  This is how my Cap One Quicksilver credit card account is set up and it has been working pretty well for me for a long time.
    • During the setup process, you might be prompted to decide what to do with the downloaded data.  Make sure you link it to your existing account in Quicken.
    • During this account setup process Quicken might enter transactions into the account register that are duplicates of what is already there.  If this happens, the duplicates will need to be manually deleted.  If this happens it will be just a one time event...should not happen, again, with future data downloads.
    Did this resolve the issue for you?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Capital One does not support Direct Connect downloads.  Please check what is shown for the account on the Account List (Tools menu).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jeanne
    Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much, Boatnmaniac.  My gripe is that I've been monitoring a couple of threads here since December (as advised) and, altho there have clearly been some improvements, I never got a hint about it from those threads.

That said, "add account" seems to have done the trick. I've happily updated.

Apologies for not indicating my Quicken version, as I always have. But I am up to date with ver. R39.23. (It DOES seem that Quicken updates every time I open it. Very sluggish.)  It seems clear that the version could not have been the problem. "Set up now" may have been. But also EDITing from the Account List. Only adding a new account did the trick (from the Account List).

I'm very grateful and hope I gave you credit appropriately. Please advise if I did not,
    Jeanne

• Boatnmaniac
    I'm glad it worked for your @Jeanne .  Let's hope that it continues to work consistently for you.  And, yes, the credit is shown.

This discussion has been closed.