When do Quicken activation codes expire? - was NOT 2yrs - 5/15/20 --> 1/1/22

Options
2»

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I would like to suggest an alternative and safer approach to this bargain shopping.  We know that various retailers (Costco, Newegg, Bestbuy, Amazon, etc.) have Quicken on sale during the course of a year.  So instead of purchasing the box a year+ in advance and pray that it works later along with the aggravation of contacting support if it doesn't, wait until you approach your 6-month time frame and then start your bargain shopping search (google shopping finds them all).  Chances are very good that you will find multiple sales during that six month period prior to your expiry date. Buy it and activate it right away.
    P.S. I personally buy it directly from Quicken to support them and the product that helps my financial health.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I too would suggest alternative approaches.... 1: Quicken activation codes valid until used... My Internet Security subscriptions don't have an activation expiration date and when installed just add to whatever days are left on the current subscription...

OR....  2: Quicken put the activation code expiration date on the front of the retail box...

[Removed - Sarcasm]

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @BK said:
    > I would like to suggest an alternative and safer approach to this bargain shopping.  We know that various retailers (Costco, Newegg, Bestbuy, Amazon, etc.) have Quicken on sale during the course of a year.  So instead of purchasing the box a year+ in advance and pray that it works later along with the aggravation of contacting support if it doesn't, wait until you approach your 6-month time frame and then start your bargain shopping search (google shopping finds them all).  Chances are very good that you will find multiple sales during that six month period prior to your expiry date. Buy it and activate it right away.P.S. I personally buy it directly from Quicken to support them and the product that helps my financial health.

@BK , unfortunately your suggestion doesn't eliminate the problems. As I mentioned, I purchased a copy last Sunday, March 20th and assumed it would have been the current version. It was not! It was two years old, Quicken Premier 2020, and it has expired already.

My question is why are Best Buy and Sam's Club selling software beyond the expiration date set by Quicken? Furthermore, why doesn't Quicken communicate that expiration date to the customer and the store on the box? (Quicken removed the date from product title on the box remember?) Their approach requires the purchaser to argue with customer service at the store they purchase it from or at Quicken when it is expired. This just leads to a disgruntled customer, because we shouldn't have to deal with someone else's inventory control problems. Also, most of Quicken's own Customer Support personnel don't understand the policy and have communicated incorrect information.

If I buy Quicken software at an authorized retail store (i.e., not eBay), I should be able to assume it is a legal, supported and active product, without having to call Customer Support and get confusing and disrespectful answers. How many customers have purchased Quicken and gotten an "incorrect response" and have have been told to purchase again directly from Quicken (which is what I was told) at a higher price? (Not, sure that is legal, because it sounds like bait-and-switch to me.) Also, Best Buy will not take a return of software that has been opened.

Most stores' Warehouse Management Software and Inventory Management Software already have controls to remove expired product from their inventory and return/dispose of them according to their contract with the manufacturer. There are several ways that Quicken could address this problem. They should do what is best for their customers and maybe they will have better customer retention.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @the3roots Here is a foolproof solution, open the box at the register before you pay for it in front of the cashier, if it is expired, don't buy it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    splasher said:
    @the3roots Here is a foolproof solution, open the box at the register before you pay for it in front of the cashier, if it is expired, don't buy it.
    Why should one have to do that?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options
    retird said:
    splasher said:
    Why should one have to do that?
    I remember when I was a teenager working in a grocery store, a customer opened up a bag of cooking pecans to make sure they weren't stale before she bought and took them home, same concept applies here. 
    Why take home something that is stale or expired?  If you check before buying, you don't have to go thru the hassle of getting a refund.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @splasher said:
    > I remember when I was a teenager working in a grocery store, a customer opened up a bag of cooking pecans to make sure they weren't stale before she bought and took them home, same concept applies here. 
    > Why take home something that is stale or expired?  If you check before buying, you don't have to go thru the hassle of getting a refund.

I don't think that is acceptable in a grocery store. Also, I don't think Best Buy, Staples, Sam's Club, etc. would allow you to open a software package and try to activate the software in-store without paying either.

I suggested putting the install-by/activate-by date directly on the package. You would then know if it would work for you, given your current subscription end date, before you opened the package.
  • fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There use to be no issue.

Quicken use to put the expiration date right on the bottom of the back of the box. 
    Why did they stop ?

This discussion has been closed.