Deluxe freezes without error message - MAC

Options
AnCap
AnCap Member ✭✭
Version Quicken Deluxe 6.6.2 on macOS 12.2.1

I hope someone here can help. Quicken has not been able to download transactions for any of my accounts for a couple of weeks now. PenFed, Chase, First Citizens....none of these are problematic for Quicken, so that isn't the problem.

I don't get an error message. It just freezes. It ran overnight once. I turned update on before I went to bed and it was still running the next morning. I only see "not responding" in MAC "Force Quit".

At the same time response time for manual inputs of transactions has slowed down to an average wait of 7-10 seconds for every action, every click.

I contacted support without success, which really annoyed me.
I went through the usual procedures, with support, several times:
- backup copy
- uninstall
- remove: com.quicken.quicken.plist
- reinstall

Nothing worked and support got a bit "short" with me when nothing worked, which is where it ended.
Since then I have disabled Sync for Mobile accounts, something I know has created problems in the past, but that didn't make a difference either.

I am at a complete loss and kind of lost faith in Support. At this point Quicken is utterly useless to me.

Before I give up and cancel membership I am hoping that someone here can help me.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Comments

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try creating a temporary test Data File for Quicken: File > New... > Start from scratch.

In that test file, create an account for one of your real world accounts, and connect it for downloading.
    - If that works satisfactorily, add accounts one by one and see how they work.
    - if it fails, you may want to delete that account before creating the next account.

I will also point out that there have been recent issues with downloads from Pentagon Federal Credit Union and Chase. You might want to search this Community for discussions to see if there are any solutions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • AnCap
    AnCap Member ✭✭
    Options
    Great Tip!!
    I just created a new file and started with the PenFed accounts. ALL OF THEM DOWLOADED PERFECTLY. I will now do the others, one by one.

This blows my mind though. How is this even possible? It defies logic. Nothing changed. The program didn't. The information didn't. The bank account didn't either.

> @lhossus said:
    > Try creating a temporary test Data File for Quicken: File > New... > Start from scratch.
    >
    > In that test file, create an account for one of your real world accounts, and connect it for downloading.
    > - If that works satisfactorily, add accounts one by one and see how they work.
    > - if it fails, you may want to delete that account before creating the next account.
    >
    > I will also point out that there have been recent issues with downloads from Pentagon Federal Credit Union and Chase. You might want to search this Community for discussions to see if there are any solutions.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AnCap said:
    Great Tip!!
    I just created a new file and started with the PenFed accounts. ALL OF THEM DOWLOADED PERFECTLY. I will now do the others, one by one.

Assuming your accounts all download successfully in the test file. Or at least show a usable improvement over your current active file situation, your next steps might be: 

0) Make a backup of your Quicken data file.

1) Deactivate all accounts at all the failing financial institutions (FIs).

Make sure you don't have any hidden accounts that might be overlooked. Use Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to check.

2) Reactivate the accounts at one of the FIs, using the Add Account (+) button at the top of the sidebar. Be sure to Link the existing accounts in Quicken to the corresponding accounts at the FI. If this works well, then continue with another FI.

If this step leaves an FI inoperable, yet it worked in the test data file, then ...

3) With the FI deactivated from all accounts in Quicken: using the Add Account (+) button, create entirely new accounts in Quicken (not linked to existing accounts). Assuming this is successful, then

3a) For each old Quicken account at a FI, the Select all transactions in the Quicken register and drag them to the new equivalent Quicken account name in the sidebar. You may want to watch for duplicate transactions and either delete them in the new account and not select them in the old account.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • AnCap
    AnCap Member ✭✭
    Options
    You are a great help.
    0) I did make a backup before I did anything else and again once I had created the new file with all new links.
    2,3, 3a) In the end the one thing that did work was....create entire new file and (+) all bank accounts manually and activate them for online download. ALL accounts work now and I have the history.
    What I don't have and can't seem to be able to recover, is the attachments to all the transactions from the file that doesn't work anymore.

Is there a way to recover those? Export/Import/drag doesn't seem to grab attachments.

Having said that, I am already a happy camper thanks to your help. No thanks to Quicken support, which that really annoys me to no end.

> @lhossus said:
    > Assuming your accounts all download successfully in the test file. Or at least show a usable improvement over your current active file situation, your next steps might be: 
    >
    > 0) Make a backup of your Quicken data file.
    >
    > 1) Deactivate all accounts at all the failing financial institutions (FIs).
    >
    > Make sure you don't have any hidden accounts that might be overlooked. Use Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to check.
    >
    > 2) Reactivate the accounts at one of the FIs, using the Add Account (+) button at the top of the sidebar. Be sure to Link the existing accounts in Quicken to the corresponding accounts at the FI. If this works well, then continue with another FI.
    >
    > If this step leaves an FI inoperable, yet it worked in the test data file, then ...
    >
    > 3) With the FI deactivated from all accounts in Quicken: using the Add Account (+) button, create entirely new accounts in Quicken (not linked to existing accounts). Assuming this is successful, then
    >
    > 3a) For each old Quicken account at a FI, the Select all transactions in the Quicken register and drag them to the new equivalent Quicken account name in the sidebar. You may want to watch for duplicate transactions and either delete them in the new account and not select them in the old account.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    There's unfortunately no way to export the transactions, nor to import them back. Depending how many you have, it is possible, but tedious, to pry into the old data file to extract the attachments one at a time (but not in any organized way). Then you could determine what transaction each one goes with, search for the transaction in your new data file, and manually re-attach them to the appropriate transaction. I'd say this is only viable if you have a family small number of attachments for important transactions. (If you want to go down this road, post back and I can share how to do it.) 

Otherwise, you might want to keep your old data file around just as a references source if you need to look up one of your old attachments. If you do this, I'd suggest in the old data file, you disconnect each and every account from downloading, so nothing can download and confuse things if you open this data file in the future. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • AnCap
    AnCap Member ✭✭
    Options
    OMG no...that is way too tedious.
    I have the old file as backup. If I ever need one of those invoices, I just go and search there.
    I wasn't going to disconnect any of the accounts in the old file because they don't work anyway, but you are right, it is a good idea to do that, just in case.

Thank you so much for your help. I would have been stuck without you!!

> @jacobs said:
    > There's unfortunately no way to export the transactions, nor to import them back. Depending how many you have, it is possible, but tedious, to pry into the old data file to extract the attachments one at a time (but not in any organized way). Then you could determine what transaction each one goes with, search for the transaction in your new data file, and manually re-attach them to the appropriate transaction. I'd say this is only viable if you have a family small number of attachments for important transactions. (If you want to go down this road, post back and I can share how to do it.) 
    >
    > Otherwise, you might want to keep your old data file around just as a references source if you need to look up one of your old attachments. If you do this, I'd suggest in the old data file, you disconnect each and every account from downloading, so nothing can download and confuse things if you open this data file in the future. 
This discussion has been closed.