Average Annual Return % 1-Year Too High

For the past month or so my average annual return % 1-year shot up to around 300%. While I wish this were true, it is definitely wrong. My single highest individual return for the year is 101%, with the others in the 50 or 60's, and then many in the 20-40s, and then some lower.

Any ideas on where I can look to see what might be triggering this?

thanks!

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Because the returns are annualized, unexpectedly high average annual returns can be caused by securities or accounts that have been held for less than 1 year.

One thing you can do to understand Quicken's  IRR calculation is to look at an Investment Performance Report. It will show all the investments and returns that are used in the calculation. 
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Because the returns are annualized, unexpectedly high average annual returns can be caused by securities or accounts that have been held for less than 1 year.

One thing you can do to understand Quicken's  IRR calculation is to look at an Investment Performance Report. It will show all the investments and returns that are used in the calculation. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • fairwarning
    fairwarning Member
    Thanks for the fast reply. And, looking at the IRR report that you suggested shows a stock merger/transfer (xlnx to amd) with a return of over $8million! Digging further and further, I unhid xlnx and it had a last price quote of 40k something. I changed that to the real 194 price quote and now my average annual return is back to normal. Interesting to me though, is that it uses the price quote and not the transaction amount or shares transferred or AMD price, or something. Oh well, it is all better now.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.