Easy Answer Report - How Much Did I Spend On - subtotal by month?

WisdomAndExperience
WisdomAndExperience Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I'm trying to figure out my monthly spending on Category Food, broken down by my three subcategories, by month. Why isn't there a "subtotal by month" feature in Easy Answer reports for "How Much Did I Spend On"? I've search every tab in the report once I generated it and NOWHERE can I find a "subtotal by month" capability.
Version: R39.23
Build 27.1.39.23

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    May I suggest that you give it another try as @Jim_Harman suggested:  At the bottom of your report window, please click & hold on the left arrow, or click & drag the slider bar to the left - as in the image below.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is this what you are looking for?

• The "Column:" dropdown should be changed to "Subtotal by:" which is a better, more precise wording of what it actually does.
  • When I specify "Column: Month" there resulting report does NOT subtotal by EVERY month. Instead, it shows me a column for January 2021, then skips to September 2021, October 2021, November 2021, December 2021, January 2022, February 2022, March 2022 and April 2021-through-March 2022 totals. Why are so many monthly columns missing?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "How much did I spend on" Easy answer report is a customized version of the Itemized Categories report, which shows transaction detail but does not allow for subtotaling.

If you start with the Reports > Spending > Spending by Category or Income and Expense by Category report, you can click on the gear at the top right to select the categories you want and select time intervals with the Columns dropdown.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    When I specify "Column: Month" there resulting report does NOT subtotal by EVERY month. Instead, it shows me a column for January 2021, then skips to September 2021, October 2021, November 2021, December 2021, January 2022, February 2022, March 2022 and April 2021-through-March 2022 totals. Why are so many monthly columns missing?
    That is very strange.  I assume you tried to resize the window to see if it refreshes.  I have no explanation to this one, sorry.  If no one else jumps in with troubleshooting suggestions, then I suggest to contact Quicken Support.

• I opened the report full screen which is when I noticed the HUGE GAP in the months columns displayed.
  • Jim_Harman
    The report is too wide to fit on your screen and you are viewing the right-hand portion of it. The month for the first column is cut off. Try moving the scroll bar at the bottom to see the rest of the months.
  • If, as you say, I'm only viewing only the right-hand portion of the report, why does the first month appear followed by a HUGE GAP between the first month and the next displayed month? If only the right-hand portion of the report was visible on my screen, wouldn't the first month be cut off as well?
  • Jim_Harman
    Look at your screen shot. The first column header is
    /1/21
    /31/21
    Those are days, not the month number, which is cut off. Scroll it to the left as I said.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    May I suggest that you give it another try as @Jim_Harman suggested:  At the bottom of your report window, please click & hold on the left arrow, or click & drag the slider bar to the left - as in the image below.

This discussion has been closed.