Account showing -99.99% performance

DBCoward
DBCoward Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I transferred some shares from a USD Direct Investing Account to a USD TFSA account that I haven't used in a few years and had no shares/cash in it before the transfer and the TFSA account is now showing a 1yr performance of -99.99%. Any idea why?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    What entries did you make in Quicken to transfer the shares?

The Investing > Portfolio views have several performance related columns.

What is the exact name of the column that is showing -99.99%, or are you seeing this someplace else in Quicken?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • DBCoward
    DBCoward Member
    I entered it as a XfrShrs transaction (although the account that I moved them from shows it now as Removed, the receiving account shows them as added).

The Investing>Performance view shows the 1 Year column in the Average Annual Return section of the receiving account as -99.99%.
  • DBCoward
    DBCoward Member
    If I go into the Security Performance view it shows the security (GME - Gamestop in this case) as having an Avg. Annual Return (%) 1-Year of -99.99.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited April 2022
    OK, if you just moved it to a new account and are grouping or subtotaling by account, it is showing the annualized performance for that account. A small change over a few days will make a big difference on an annualized basis.

If you include both accounts in the report and subtotal by security and you have held it for more than 1 year between them, you will get meaningful results.

If you want to see non-annualized results, try the ROI (%) column.
  • DBCoward
    DBCoward Member
    I include both accounts in my report, have held the security for over 1 year and I'm not getting meaningful results.

What actually triggered me to look into this is that it's affecting the "Growth of $10k" report which, because this account shows at -99.99%, shows a dramatic dive in my portfolios performance for the month the transfer occurred (March).
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in March 2022, or March 2021?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DBCoward
    DBCoward Member
    March 2022
  • Jim_Harman
    To see the numbers Quicken is using for its calculation, run the Investing > Performance report for the same time period and selections. Check to make sure the Investments and Returns look reasonable and investigate and correct anything that is wrong. For example the share price on the end date might be way off.
This discussion has been closed.