Federal Tax Refunds

REOlsen Member
In Quicken, is the appropriate accounting treatment of a federal tax refund received as cash Tax: Fed (Prior Year) expressed currently as a negative number?


  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest using a split deposit transaction and assigning one entry for the refund with the same category you use for your federal tax payments (for example, Tax:Fed:1040) and another to Interest Inc for any interest you may have received with the refund.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @REOlsen

    Yes, the entry should be posted to Tax:Fed (Prior Year).


                            Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.