Have Vanguard accounts, plus single joint trust account - results in duplication of holdings

The duplication occurs because we have a joint trust account. So when Quicken gathers data, it duplicates the holdings and their value. Is there some way to tell Quicken to ignore a specific account in one of our vanguard accounts?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Do you have separate logins at Vanguard?  Is it ONLY the joint account that gets downloaded twice?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• palimpsest
    palimpsest Member
    Each has its own login. The only common account is the trust. The rest are all IRA accounts. I suppose we could use a single login, which might stop the duplication, but how does vanguard deal with accounts in which IRAs with different SS#s cohabit?
  • Pumphouse
    Pumphouse Member ✭✭✭
    My spouse and I have separate logins and share a brokerage account. I only download to Quicken from one login but I get all the IRAs plus the joint account as I would expect. I think this is because the logins are linked at Vanguard.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It should be impossible for two different logins to download into the same account.

Are you really talking about importing duplicate transactions into the same account or maybe that there are two accounts with the same information?

If it is the later, you should be able to just delete one of the accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • palimpsest
    palimpsest Member
    Perhaps I'm being too vague. My wife and I have separate Vanguard accounts with unique ids and passwords. In each Vanguard account there is a common subaccount, a jointly held family trust. Quicken reports the same subaccount twice. Is there any way to have Quicken ignore one of these identical accounts. And yes, my wife's IRAs, which are not in my account, are included on Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken doesn't have "sub accounts".  If Vanguard has setup a "sub account" that puts transactions in both of your individuals accounts, presumably with other transactions that are only in each of the given individual accounts, then there is no way Quicken is going to be able to separate them out.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. this is different than a Joint account that both user logins share.  That is the more common situation, and that case it is easy to just delete one of them for one of the user logins.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    palimpsest said:  In each Vanguard account there is a common subaccount, a jointly held family trust. Quicken reports the same subaccount twice.
    Interesting... have not run across this scenario - where EACH individual Vanguard account has it's own holdings AND also points to a common joint account that each has access into.... SO - when transactions & balances are reported/downloaded, you will get double the pleasure - can't really see any way to tell Quicken to ignore this very specific scenario....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    palimpsest said:  In each Vanguard account there is a common subaccount, a jointly held family trust.
    When you log into the Vanguard online website - is there another 3rd ID that can be used just for viewing the Trust ? -
    or do you only have access to the Trust via your normal Vanguard personal investor IDs ?
    BTW - how does this TRUST and all its holdings show up in Quicken ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I think I understand what you are saying.  My wife and I also have two separate IDs for Vanguard but also have a joint Trust, like you.  My guess is that during the account Add process in Quicken, you added the Joint Trust account twice: once for you with your login and once for your wife with her login - Is that what you did?  Would you verify please?  (I didn't think Quicken would create duplicate transactions during downloads, but perhaps it does!)

Adding: If my understanding is correct, I would suggest deactivating the Joint Trust account in Quicken (Tools > Acc list > Edit that account > Online services tab > Deactivate).  I am hoping this will deactivate it completely for both of your logins (I think?).  Then Reactivate it only once using ONLY your Vanguard login ID.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any Vanguard accounts. BUT, I do have my US Bank checking account, my manual USB mortgage, a USB credit card and HER USB checking account which is joint because that brings it under my "umbrella" and her account fees get waived.
    I login using MY credentials and download everything (except the mortgage) via Direct Connect ... without duplicates.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.