Start Over Method

ScottW
ScottW Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have been a Quicken user for over 20 years and have a wide variety of investments, Old and new. Unfortunately, I have let the investment tracking get out of control. I would like to start over tracking my investments but how? I want to keep the transaction links between my checking and the old/new investments. Help please. Thanks.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are downloading transactions for the investing accounts and want to keep using the accounts but with correct holdings and balances, the simple thing to do would be to (just this once) go to each affected account and click on the gear at the top right. Pick Reconcile Shares and let Quicken create Placeholders to force your share balances to match those downloaded from your broker.

The downside of this approach is that you will lose track of the cost basis of your holdings, and performance stats for periods that span the Placeholder date will be invalid. But if you decide later on to resolve the Placeholders by correcting the earlier transactions, you could do that.

If you are not downloading, you could use the Update share Balance link from the gear menu to manually enter the correct share balances to match a statement. This will create Added and Removed transactions to fix any discrepancies.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.