Assistance fixing reconciliation issue

William Smith Jr
William Smith Jr Member ✭✭✭
When reconciling my most recent checking account statement, I took a quick look at reconciliation history and saw a $20 discrepancy from my February statement. I'm not really sure what happened there but when I tried to re-reconcile the statement, the $20 check that is the source of the discrepancy does not appear in the list of transactions I can check off. I spent some time trying to figure this out but have not had any luck. Is there something I'm missing here and/or can do so this transaction shows up as an eligible one within the statement period?

Thanks!

Bill

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I thought this was a downloaded transaction, which is why I asked about the posted date.

The transaction is available in January because it was dated in January. But if it wasn't marked as reconciled in January, it should then be in the list of transactions when you reconcile February — and you're saying it isn't. I can't understand that; it should be the first transaction at the top of the list of transactions through February 28.

In any case, since this appears to be a one-off problem, I have a couple suggestions to get this resolved.

1) You could try deleting and re-entering the same transaction, using the same 1/21 transaction date. Then open your February reconciliation and see if it's there.

2) Re-reconcile one of the months -- you can choose which one -- and check off this transaction. You can do it in April, or March, or even January. Depending which month, you may need to adjust the ending balance (click the little pencil next to the ending balance). For instance, you could mark this cleared in January, but you'd need to adjust the ending balance down by $20 because the actual bank balance doesn't have this transaction cleared in January. January should then be reconciled, and then your February and March should not show a discrepancy. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    When reconciling my most recent checking account statement, I took a quick look at reconciliation history and saw a $20 discrepancy from my February statement. I'm not really sure what happened there but when I tried to re-reconcile the statement, the $20 check that is the source of the discrepancy does not appear in the list of transactions I can check off. I spent some time trying to figure this out but have not had any luck. Is there something I'm missing here and/or can do so this transaction shows up as an eligible one within the statement period?

Thanks!

Bill
    Hello @William Smith Jr,     

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community with questions about the Reconcile window. 

Are you noticing that the $20 you had mentioned is missing from the associated account register, as well? Also, are there any transactions that are appearing as expected, but nonetheless, happen to be missing checkmarks in the box marked CLR within the Reconcile window? Lastly, if you have the chance, I recommend checking into the current version of Quicken you are currently running by going to Help > About Quicken... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

I look forward to hearing more from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • William Smith Jr
    @Quicken Jared The $20 transaction (Check written in late January but not cashed until early February and appearing on February statement as noted) does appear in my account register and has the "Clr" box unchecked. If I go to my Checking Account -> Reconciliation History, Quicken notes 0 discrepancies but a $20 difference for the February statement. If I try to re-reconcile that statement, the $20 January transaction does not appear in the list of transactions.

My April statement just closed. When I try to reconcile that one, the Quicken balance is showing as $20 more than my statement balance. Further, the January transaction that's not appearing when I tried to re-reconcile the February statement is showing when I try to reconcile April's statement. I can include the January transaction to reconcile April's statement but that just seems like asking for more trouble vs being able to reconcile it as part of February's statement where it should be. For now, I've held off on finishing reconciliation for April pending further feedback.

I'm also running current Mac version (Version 6.6.2 (Build 606.43218.100)).

Any other thoughts here on what's going on / next steps?

Bill
  • jacobs
    When you click on that transaction, select View > Transaction. In the Transaction Inspector window which opens, what is the Date Posted near the bottom? What is the Date at the top? If you change the date, does it then show up in the February reconciliation? 

You mentioned your February statement and your April statement; what about March? Does the transaction show up as available to reconcile in March? 

• William Smith Jr
    @jacobs - When I bring up the Transaction Inspection window, I'm not seeing a Date Posted field. I see Date (Jan 21st), Date Entered (Jan 24th) and Date Modified (Today / Apr 24th). Regarding March statement, if I try to re-reconcile that month, I get a warning that the Quicken Balance Does Not Equal Reconciled Balance. Since that month is OK, I didn't want to touch that one. I also noticed this transaction is available if I re-reconcile January's statement as well. It seems this transaction shows up in every month but the one I need it to at this point.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    I thought this was a downloaded transaction, which is why I asked about the posted date.

The transaction is available in January because it was dated in January. But if it wasn't marked as reconciled in January, it should then be in the list of transactions when you reconcile February — and you're saying it isn't. I can't understand that; it should be the first transaction at the top of the list of transactions through February 28.

In any case, since this appears to be a one-off problem, I have a couple suggestions to get this resolved.

1) You could try deleting and re-entering the same transaction, using the same 1/21 transaction date. Then open your February reconciliation and see if it's there.

2) Re-reconcile one of the months -- you can choose which one -- and check off this transaction. You can do it in April, or March, or even January. Depending which month, you may need to adjust the ending balance (click the little pencil next to the ending balance). For instance, you could mark this cleared in January, but you'd need to adjust the ending balance down by $20 because the actual bank balance doesn't have this transaction cleared in January. January should then be reconciled, and then your February and March should not show a discrepancy. 
  • William Smith Jr
    @jacobs - apologies for any confusion / not clarifying up front how my bank transactions are entered. I do not have my bank setup for automatic downloads as they charge extra for that option so everything is entered manually for those accounts (only ones in that state). Regarding your suggestion, I tried #1 first but it still wouldn't show up in February. I then tried changing the state to > 1/22 (when Jan statement closed) and voila, it worked. The date of the transaction seems to have been the hold up here. At this point, the reconciliation report looks good / no discrepancies. Many thanks to those who assisted me here!

Bill
  • jacobs
    Glad you got it resolved. 
This discussion has been closed.