Backup or Copy File - Create a Copy or Template

I just made a copy of my data file using the "Create a Copy or Template" option.  It completely wiped out the online connections for all of my accounts (both Direct and Express Connections).

I never had this happen before today.  I wasn't sure if this was an intended change to the copy feature, or a bug.  I updated to R40.21 on 4/28/22.  

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bug, it is that way by design.  You obviously didn't read the information on the screen that informs the user as to what the "Copy or Template" process does.  This is done to prevent cross contamination between Quicken data files.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• @splasher, I guess I didn't read the "fine print".  I haven't done a file copy since the change was made.  But now I am somewhat confused.  In the past, as part of troubleshooting and cleaning a corrupt data file, the recommendation would be to make a file copy along with doing validates.  Now, that is no longer the recommendation, or even possible?  Or is it still a viable solution with the added step of reconnecting online services?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The File copy that used to help clean up some issues because it made the copy at the transaction level and not a "Windows" copy no longer exists as far as I can tell.  I'm not sure why they completely removed that copy version, but they introduced the new version to deal with issues with the Quicken Cloud Account (QCA) and unique file id that is associated with each file. 
    We used to tell a user that wanted to split a data file into two pieces (divorce or splitting off a dependent's accounts) to make a copy and delete from each the unwanted accounts, but with the QCA, both files would know appear to be the same file to Quicken and stuff done in one file could affect the other file, so this new copy version causes a new unique file id to be applied to the copy and that required the download connections to be removed since they were all tied to the downloads of Express Web Connect in the QCA and file id.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• @splasher - Thank you for the explanation.  It makes perfect sense.
This discussion has been closed.