Why did Quicken remove the capability to reconcile a mortgage account in Quicken Mac?

Options
Carl Richmond
Carl Richmond Mac Beta Beta
It seems the capability was removed several months ago.  I can't change the CLR check marks on recent mortgage payments from blue to green anymore.  It's not a BIG issue but it is bugging me because it used to work.  Why did Quicken remove this capability for Quicken Mac and will Quicken reinstate it?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Try Option-clicking on one of the recent blue check marks; does that turn it green?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Options
    I don't believe there was ever the ability to reconcile a mortgage account in Quicken Mac since loans were added sometime in 2016. If you have a manual liability account, you can reconcile that, but for an account which is an automated loan, they don't allow reconciliation. I don't know why. But a typical mortgage account has only one or two monthly loan payments, so there's not a lot of transactions which need to be marked as reconciled; you can check your balance versus the lending institution as of the end of any month, and if it's off a few cents, enter an adjustment. 

Please take a look at this existing Idea post for reconciling loan accounts. It is marked by the developers as "Not Planned". If you read through that thread, you'll see the discussion among users on the topic and why it is perhaps not needed.

In any case, you can decide which is more useful to you: having Quicken automate the loan calculations or converting the loan account to a liability account and losing that functionality but gaining the ability to mark transactions as reconciled. 
  • Carl Richmond
    Options
    Hi Jacobs.  Nope.  Not true.  My mortgage account has green checks (reconciled) next to all transactions until March 2022.  Then blue checks for March, April, and May 2022.  I used to be able to turn the blue checks to green by reconciling the account, but not any more.  It's not a big deal because, as you say, it's easy to check the balance manually with the lending institution.  But it is visually irritating.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Try Option-clicking on one of the recent blue check marks; does that turn it green?
  • Chicken
    Chicken Member
    Options
    Excellent tip jacobs! Thank you.
  • Carl Richmond
    Options
    Yes, that works!  Thanks Jacobs.  I can rest now.
This discussion has been closed.