Creating a transfer from an external account not tracked in Quicken for Windows

quickslick
quickslick Member ✭✭
I had to transfer money from a brokerage account into my checking account. The brokerage account is not tracked in Quicken and I cannot figure out how to make this transfer. Right now, it shows up as new money which throws all of the reports off. Anyone have an idea how this can be accomplished?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Since it is "money from an external source", for bookkeeping and budgeting purposes it should be reported as some kind of income, e.g., Income category "Cash transfer from brokerage".
    However, if you insist, you can hide this money. Categorize this transaction in your checking account as if it was a transfer from the [name of checking account register]*. Just like the Opening Balance transaction, Quicken uses this method to hide existing money from being categorized as income or expense.

* that's called a "transfer back into the same account" and is OK. You will get a popup prompt for that purpose. Respond OK to let it proceed.

• quickslick
    quickslick Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much, I will try that. It actually isn't traditional income, but is existing money in an account that I don't track in Quicken and is just being moved from one account to another.
This discussion has been closed.