How to delete downloaded transactions from the Online Center

foonberg
foonberg Member
I am having continued troubles downloading transactions from Schwab. While trying to address this issue by deactivating and reactivating those Schwab accounts on Quicken, I noticed that there are several downloaded transactions in the Online Center. I followed the directions in a previous discussion:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7895481/transactions-in-online-center-not-showing-in-downloaded-transactions-in-the-register

But, that doesn't work for me. After validating and super-validating my Quicken file, those transactions remain in the Online Center and are preventing me from addressing the Schwab issue.

Can anybody point me to a solution that might work?

Thanks!

Answers

• @foonberg - is the button the right "Compare to Register" greyed out?  If not, I think clicking on it is another way to clear these transactions.
  • foonberg
    foonberg Member
    Hi Damian,

The "Compare to List..." button is not greyed out. When I click on it, it takes me to the register, where there are no "Downloaded Transactions", "Bill and Income Reminders", or "Placeholder Entries". If I think click on "Update Transactions", it goes back to the "One Step Update Process" which results in no change in the list of transactions in the Online Center.

Alan
  • @foonberg - Try this - go to back to the Online Center.  In the upper left of the window there should be "Delete" right under "Online Center".  Highlight an item and hit that "Delete".  I think this should get rid of the item.  I am not sure if you need to delete each item one at a time, or if you can highlight all of them and delete.
  • foonberg
    foonberg Member
    Damian, thank you again for your reply. Unfortunately, the "Delete" button is always greyed out, no matter which Financial Institution, Account, or Transaction I highlight.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did you toggle the "Automatically add to banking registers" preference as suggested?
    Also note that there is a setting in the Account Details -> Online Services tab (a link) that overrides the global setting that you might have to make sure isn't in force off mode (as it shouldn't be in No mode).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • foonberg
    foonberg Member
    Hi, I did toggle the "Automatically add to banking registers" preference as suggested in the discussion to which I provided a link. I tried it again, and the Online Center still shows transactions that I can not disposition. Regarding your question about Edit Account Details -> Online Services -> Automatic entry, are you suggesting that I set it to "Use the general account preference", "Yes", or "No"? By the way, I wanted to try to "Deactivate" online services, but I cannot deactivate it while there are downloaded transactions that must be first be accepted into the account register or transaction list.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try holding down Ctrl+Shift when clicking on Deactivate.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • foonberg
    foonberg Member
    The behavior when clicking "Deactivate" with or without Ctrl+Shift is the same. "Quicken can not edit <account name here> because there are downloaded transactions that must first be accepted into the account register or transaction list. Finish accepting the downloaded transactions, and then try again."
  • foonberg
    foonberg Member
    I just spent about an hour on the phone with Johnny, a wonderful customer service rep from Quicken. He addressed my concerns and talked me through some steps, during a screen-sharing session, to alleviate my problems. The overall strategy was to deactivate on-line services for the accounts in question, and then re-activate them. Since I had transactions in the Online Center, I wasn't able to review, incorporate, or delete those transactions. The trick was to select "No - Never automatically add transactions for this account" in the "Automatic entry" menu for each account. Then, I was able to review and delete the recently-downloaded transactions. Johnny also advised me not to do either an account validation or super-validation more than twice a day, because the third time is known to damage your Quicken file. When I asked about the cause for my concerns, Johnny guessed that it was due to site updates on either Schwab, Fidelity, or Quicken when I was trying to download transactions. I hope this summary helps somebody else - and helps me if/when this problem re-occurs in the future.
  • @foonberg - I am very glad and relieved that you got this issue resolved.  Very interesting and useful information you shared.  Thank you.  It was also good to hear about a positive experience with the Customer Service Team.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    foonberg said:
    I just spent about an hour on the phone with Johnny, a wonderful customer service rep from Quicken.

Johnny also advised me not to do either an account validation or super-validation more than twice a day, because the third time is known to damage your Quicken file.

I am not sure I believe Johnny's assertion that more than 2 validates a day is known to damage a Quicken file. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.