Getting CC-592 error with Citibank

Options

Answers

• baats
    baats Member ✭✭
    Options
    sadly I have to agree with you, this sort of thing happens to often, and takes too long waiting for a fix
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    Options
    Guys you're complaining to the wrong people. Quicken is doing what they can in the face of Citibank's indifference to the issue. Until you tell Citibank that Quicken has a constituency among their customers, they have no incentive to work with Quicken. Citi's web developers are doing the job they're being paid to do, and Quicken isn't on their list of priorities until we as Citi customers put it there.

If I was Citibank, my thinking would be, you mean this company Quicken wants to get my customer's information that I'm trying to hold securely, and get between me and my customers, and make it so my customers log in to my website less often and look at what I want them to see less often? Why should I enable this, or care if it works, or care if small changes we make affect it? The only way Citi cares about this is if we as their customers tell them we care about it.

The real issue is that there needs to be a universal standard for real-time data interchange between banks and other financial institutions and the financial software providers like Intuit and Quicken. Until that happens, it's all just web scraping and incredibly fragile and dependent on an army of programmers to see and react to changes, changes that may not even be affecting all or even many customers - web developers often test multiple versions of a site in production, and some changes may only be seen by a a few customers at a time.

Microsoft and Google have a good model here - they maintain huge stores of structured information like email and calendars, and they have a way for application developers to access that information in a secure way with enterprise applications that rely on the authentication mechanisms Microsoft and Google provide.

But Microsoft and Google have the advantage of having designed their systems to allow for this. Most of what you see at Citibank's websites is a front end to mainframe systems that don't have this sort of flexibility. The CitiBusiness Online site literally just got case-sensitive passwords, they're still limited to 10 characters, and the only 2FA they do is with hardware tokens or phone apps that imitate them. Citi Online for consumer banking is not much better. I can't imagine that Citi wants to spend development time and money caring about how what they do affects Quicken until we as their customers tell them we care.
  • baats
    baats Member ✭✭
    Options
    how about you telling them
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    Options
    @baats I do - when I talk to Citi support, I make sure to tell them I use Quicken, and would like it supported better. But I'm one voice - Citi needs to hear it from all of us.
  • baats
    baats Member ✭✭
    Options
    just got off the phone with citi reported the problem (3rd time) asked them to put a note in file about ongoing problem need better support.
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    Options
    I spoke to Citi Online support and they gave me a ticket number for this issue - if you're having 2FA problems, recommend you call and add yourself to ticket INC0104349244 so you will help establish a constituency for Quicken issues with Citi and be notified of resolutions.
  • Richard Valentine
    Options
    After a week of receiving the same error, I am now reporting it as well.
  • Greg V
    Greg V Member
    Options
    Same problem - submitted report.
  • Bob Bernstein
    Bob Bernstein Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    [Removed - Speculation]
  • Bob Uhl
    Bob Uhl Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Turning off 2FA does work and my checking, savings, and credit cards are synchronizing again. But it leaves you without 2FA. I haven't tried toggling the 2FA back on as of yet, I'm afraid it will stop working again.
  • baats
    baats Member ✭✭
    Options
    That’s what I’ve been doing toggling the 2FA on and off I have complained to the bank at least five times with no results
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yeah - I'm just logging in to the Citi site, toggling 2FA off, downloading my data in Quicken, and then toggling 2FA on again. So it's only off for a minute, but an annoyance to have to do every time I run an update in Quicken.
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just added myself to the Citibank ticket.

As others have noted, Quicken did successfully work with Citibank 2FA turned on. Then at some point Quicken was able to download the transactions WITHOUT having us input the OTP from Citibank. And now when Quicken attempts a download, Citibank doesn't generate the OTP, Quicken doesn't prompt for the OTP, and the download gets one of several errors.

Each company says the fault lies with the other.

What is lacking is any transparency regarding the effort to resolve this. Are the two companies actually working TOGETHER on this? If so, do they have a handle on the cause of the issue? And then, what is required to fix the situation?

All we get is something like, "Our team is working diligently to resolve this. No ETA."

My boss would have ridiculed me for saying something so vague to him, or to a customer.
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    Options
    Today I am unable to download the transactions, even after turning off the 2FA.

Quicken is unable to connect to Citibank at all.

Anyone else experiencing this?
  • ahart
    ahart Member
    Options
    me too
  • dancer89
    dancer89 Member
    Options
    Me as well. I love my citi double cash card but this ongling issue with Citibank has now gotten me to find an alternative. I just got a 2% cashback wells fargo card. Goodbye Citibank. You just lost a high value credit card user because you don't want to make this work for us.
  • davidtalarico
    Options
    same issue,. submitted a report. Ugly to see that Quicken does not want to fix this in a timely manner. Clearly the last update broke this. Hello????? I have to wonder why I should continue to purchase support that does not exist or use another program.
  • LouQuick
    LouQuick Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have complained to Citi as well. I am now having trouble with any account that has 2FA including other credit cards. Very frustrating now 2 weeks plus without even a "we're still working to resolve this" update.
  • mvboch
    mvboch Member
    Options
    This is ****, Quicken. Fix the Citi credit card issues in one week, or I am taking my business to Quickbooks.
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the last several days, I have received a 502 error message for Citibank Credit Cards though the one time update shows complete and the online balance is correct.
  • meyong
    meyong Member ✭✭
    Options
    This worked for me. I deactivated all Citi online services in Quicken, turned off Citi 2FA, relinked the accounts and then re-enabled 2FA. Thanks so much!

> @Bruce763 said:
    > @SteveK_ORD : I don't work for Quicken, but here's what I would do:
    > 1) Citibank, disable 2FA, allow desktop access.
    > 2) Qicken Tools/account list, and edit citi checking account/online access -- reset.
    > 3) Update
    > 4) Citi should find your accounts. Relink them.
    > 5) Update again. The registry should update.
    >
    > If this doesn't work, deactivate / reactivate one of the citi accounts in Quicken.
    >
    > I can't say if this will work, but it's the way I'd work through it.
  • meyong
    meyong Member ✭✭
    Options
    Re-enabling Citi 2FA caused problems again. I am forced to keep 2FA disabled until Quicken fixes its software. It worked fine with 2FA until the recent updates.
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Hi all, just adding a data point or two here.

1. This is not fixed. To update my transactions, I still have to login to Citibank and disable 2FA, download into Quicken, and then re-enable 2FA at Citibank.

2. I used "Plaid" today to verify a Citibank account for another financial institution to link for ACH transfers, and Plaid asked me my username and password, asked how to send the 2FA token, I said text, it came, I entered it, and it worked, just like Quicken used to do.

This is a bit upsetting, because whatever this problem is, Plaid has solved it, and Quicken hasn't. Why is that? @Quicken Anja ?
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    Options
    Today I looked at the Quicken Windows Discussion forum. There is a thread about Wells Fargo Bank showing that the Quicken update completes, but no transactions are actually downloaded. This problem was identified in a discussion opened by @Quicken Anja on Nov. 21, 2021. Over six months later, this issue still appears to be ongoing. But the teams are diligently seeking a resolution, with, of course, no ETA.

Why is Quicken working any new features if the most fundamental reason we use Quicken - transaction download - doesn't work consistently for some of the largest banks?

source: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7901894/ongoing-6-8-22-wells-fargo-bank-advisors-update-completes-but-nothing-downloads#latest
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @tired techie - what makes these issues difficult is that they don't seem to affect everyone.  There are an exponential number of configurations (operating systems, software versions, user options, etc.) that make troubleshooting a challenge for both the financial institution and Quicken.

With the example of Wells Fargo Advisors, I have 2 data files with a total of 10 accounts with 3 different user ids.  I have had no issues with the connections for any of the accounts in either data file.  So who knows what the scope of the issue really is, or why some have issues, but others don't.

I know this still doesn't help with your issue, but I wanted to add some perspective, and convey that Quicken is not ignoring, or dismissing your issue.
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - I agree that these problems can be hard to solve. And I have a lot of respect for those that not only resolve the issue, but do it in a way that is robust and flexible, so that it minimizes future recurrences.

My primary concern, and it has been my primary concern for a long time, is that the quality of the information shared by Quicken with the thousands of customers experiencing the painful issue is limited to, "We are working hard on solving your problem. No ETA."

When the problem persists for weeks or months, and no real status is forthcoming, I am not convinced that the right people are focused on my issue.

It may just be perception management, but when the customers are complaining on this forum for weeks or months, you would expect to see some REAL response from the company.
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have to say, getting the price increase notice while this is going on was a bit of a bummer. I'm still manually disabling 2FA before every Citi download and reenabling it.
  • ramosjr_97
    ramosjr_97 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    > @meyong said:
    > This worked for me. I deactivated all Citi online services in Quicken, turned off Citi 2FA, relinked the accounts and then re-enabled 2FA. Thanks so much!
    >
    > > @Bruce763 said:
    > > @SteveK_ORD : I don't work for Quicken, but here's what I would do:
    > > 1) Citibank, disable 2FA, allow desktop access.
    > > 2) Qicken Tools/account list, and edit citi checking account/online access -- reset.
    > > 3) Update
    > > 4) Citi should find your accounts. Relink them.
    > > 5) Update again. The registry should update.
    > >
    > > If this doesn't work, deactivate / reactivate one of the citi accounts in Quicken.
    > >
    > > I can't say if this will work, but it's the way I'd work through it.
    >
    >

Thanks @meyong - this process worked for me!
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    Options
    And the update from Quicken on the status of understanding and/or resolving this issue is ...
  • baats
    baats Member ✭✭
    Options
    Just a good thing gone bad this is what happens when now one takes responsibility shame
This discussion has been closed.