Why are wrong values downloaded for some split stocks

Bob 4585
Bob 4585 Member
edited June 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have several stocks where there are wrong price values on several random days. It appears this might be the presplit value but uncertain. This causes large spikes in the stock history graph. I have performed the update stock values, but no change. The only solution I see is to hand edit the stock history on these days. What is going on???

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem as you have observed is that sometimes the date the split is recorded in Quicken does not line up with the date the split takes effect and thus affects the stock's price.

As you note, the easiest way to correct this is to edit the stock price history.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob 4585
    Bob 4585 Member
    I would agree this is true if it was a cluster of consecutive prices around one date. However, there are occurrences of many interspersed wrong data points over weeks or months. Looks like more of a data integrity issue by whomever provides the source. The most annoying aspect on some stocks is the useful information is greatly compressed the due to auto scaling.

Thanks for the comment
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob 4585 said:
    I would agree this is true if it was a cluster of consecutive prices around one date. However, there are occurrences of many interspersed wrong data points over weeks or months. Looks like more of a data integrity issue by whomever provides the source. The most annoying aspect on some stocks is the useful information is greatly compressed the due to auto scaling.

Is the issue always with stocks that have split (not mutual funds), and are the incorrect values always off by the factor of the split, and no problems prior to the split?

If you provide an example of a problem security, we may be able to help further.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.