Do I need to upgrade my Mac OS - Running MacOS Sierra, 10.12.6.

Options
donron
donron Member
edited July 2022 in Before you Buy
Running MacOS Sierra, 10.12.6. No problems using on my MacBook Air. Don't want to move up to the next OS if I don't have to. I am using Quicken 2017, vs 4.8.6. If I purchase the newest version, do i have to upgrade my MacOS?
Tagged:

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Yes, the current Quicken Mac requires macOS High Sierra (10.13) or later. It won't install on macOS Sierra. (It may or may not allow you to download Quicken version 5.18, the 2020 release which was the last to run on Sierra.)

Officially, Quicken says they support the current and two most recent operating systems: so Monterey (12), Big Sur (11), and Catalina (10.15). But unofficially, it still works on the two operating systems before that, Mojave (10.15) and High Sierra (10.14); I run my Quicken on a computer which is running Mojave and experience no problems.

It's always possible — well, it's inevitable — that some future update to Quicken will require a newer OS. When version Quicken Mac 6.0 was being developed, the developers announced several times that that version would require at least High Sierra. The developers have given no indication of a similar end of support for High Sierra or Mojave, but I don't know if they will.

In the short-term, you might consider upgrading to at least High Sierra. I believe every Mac which ran Sierra is capable of running High Sierra, and it shouldn't render any older software incompatible. Mojave is also a safe incremental upgrade for most users. It's when you reach Catalina that there's the big break of not being able to run older 32-bit applications (which is why one of my Macs is still on Mojave).

There have been a lot of improvements to Quicken Mac over the past four years, but because we all use Quicken differently, I offer a judgment whether you will find those improvements worthwhile. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.