Edit Security Details Screen

BigSpender69
BigSpender69 Member ✭✭
Hi,

I want to know, for the INDEX: Vanguard 500 Index Fund ETF (VOO)

Would I set the type as: Market Index or Stock or something else?

My guess is Market Index.

Using the Canadian Subscription version of Quicken but this question should not be version specific I don't think.

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    VOO is an ETF that attempts to mimic the S&P 500, it's not the index itself.  You'd want to use "stock" here.
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Yes, same thing. 
    ETFs don't perfectly mimic an index, they can and do trade at prices that do not perfectly reflect changes in the index.  You can't really "buy" an index, they just exist as an abstraction and are mathematically calculated by whomever dreamed it up.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    VOO is an ETF that attempts to mimic the S&P 500, it's not the index itself.  You'd want to use "stock" here.
  • BigSpender69
    BigSpender69 Member ✭✭
    Ok, how about these two then? Same thing? Type: Stock

iShares S&P/TSX Canadian Dividend Aristocrats Index ETF (CDZ)
    iShares Core S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index ETF (XIC)
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Responding to the original question, I personally created a new security type of "ETF" so that I can distinguish between actual stock and ETF.  Just another way of doing it.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Yes, same thing. 
    ETFs don't perfectly mimic an index, they can and do trade at prices that do not perfectly reflect changes in the index.  You can't really "buy" an index, they just exist as an abstraction and are mathematically calculated by whomever dreamed it up.

This discussion has been closed.