Archive, entries and balance

KennyGolub
KennyGolub Member ✭✭
I am totally confused. The help file explains how to do an archive and keep only records from a selected date. When I do that for beginning on 1/1/2021, when it finishes, I still see entries (all cleared) all the way back to 2010. PLUS now I'm confused about the balance in checking. It shows a current balance at the bottom that does NOT match the balance in the register......yet it says the account balances.
Note that I use savings goals, but turn off showing savings goals. Bottom line is the actual bank balance does not match the register balance, but a reconcile says it balances.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You are raising a number of issues.

Regarding your attempt to use archiving to limit the transactions since a specified date, there are documented exceptions.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: FAQ: Year End Copy

Regarding the register balances, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

• KennyGolub
    KennyGolub Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > You are raising a number of issues.
    >
    > Regarding your attempt to use archiving to limit the transactions since a specified date, there are documented exceptions.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: FAQ: Year End Copy
    >
    > Regarding the register balances, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.

Thanks for the reply. FAQ didn't help. I've always had everything sorted by date, but to be sure, I clicked it once to go to decending (arrow up) and then back down again. No difference. But I'm not sure what you mean by "and Reset".

I've also discovered that my back up file is much smaller. Although I see entries in several accounts dating back to 2010, my backup file is about two thirds smaller.

I'm sorry I did this now......
  • KennyGolub
    KennyGolub Member ✭✭
    Wonderful....... as a bonus, I now cannot make any entries into my cash account...... Looking more and more like a switch to GNU cash. Crap
  • @KennyGolub do you have a good backup to go back before you did this process?
  • KennyGolub
    KennyGolub Member ✭✭
    > @Damian said:
    > @KennyGolub do you have a good backup to go back before you did this process?

Yes .... working on restoring the backup now.
  • KennyGolub
    KennyGolub Member ✭✭
    Evidently there is a problem from way before my backups go (April 2022). I only found it because I was checking after I tried to archive everything prior to 1/1/2021.
    I don't think this can be fixed without creating a new file and starting over.
This discussion has been closed.