Wrong Posting Date downloaded

Options
SebastianH
SebastianH Member ✭✭
So this may be asked and answered and apologize if it has been. I have searched several posts and none of the suggested solutions have worked.

Quicken is downloading the wrong dates for my transactions. Every transaction for any given date will download into Quicken with that date+1 day. For example Every transaction that is in my online account and on my statement with a date of 5/1 will download into Quicken with a date of 5/2 (except interest payments and auto transfers which actually download with the correct date). When reconciling, this can be quite a pain having to manually change the dates on dozens of transactions. And this has worked for the past few months until this month's reconciliation. I have two transactions that are on my statement for 5/31, and they downloaded with 6/1. I manually changed them to 5/31 but they will not show up in the reconciliation even if I change them to an even earlier date. The other transactions I had on 5/31 that downloaded with 6/1 that I changed are reconciling just fine.

I have seen several suggestions about "why don't you just make the reconciliation date one day later" but that sort of defeats the purpose of having the financial software and the accountant in me doesn't like having things posted on the wrong date.

I saw a suggestion about going into preferences and checking a box about something to do with the posting date but I do not have that option in my preferences (maybe that's a Mac thing, but I am on Windows).

I also saw a suggestion to go into the edit account settings to change the download type but I also do not have that option (apparently my bank, CapitalOne, supports only Express Connect with Quicken and not Direct Connect).

I'm getting quite fed up with this issue if I'm being honest and considering cancelling my subscription and going back to manually reconciling with a checkbook because that's basically what I'm having to do every month anyway with this issue. If anyone has any viable solution, please let me know.

Comments

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RE: I saw a suggestion about going into preferences and checking a box about something to do with the posting date but I do not have that option in my preferences
    It is not in the preferences but in the "Register Column" setting near the top right.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @sebastianh - an easy way to confirm the posting date is to use the "Downloaded Posting Date" column.  To add this column to your register, just click on the "Register" icon to the right of the Balance" column, and at the bottom of the menu, you should be able to select it.  This column will show the posting date that is used in your statements.  It is very easy compare the dates and make changes where necessary.  When done, you can re-hide the column.  Do this compare before each time you do a reconciliation.
  • SebastianH
    SebastianH Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi BK and Damian. I was able to unhide that column but that doesn't solve the root issue. I am unable to change the date in that column and my understanding was that the reconciliation was supposed to take into account if you change the transaction date. I also didn't realize you could include snippets so here's my register. As you can see, I changed the transaction date on most of these transactions to match my statement but the last two on 5/31 from Wegman's will not show on the register no matter what I do.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: FAQ: How does Quicken determine which transactions qualify for a reconcile?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @sebastianh - the dates in the Date column are the ones that need to be updated so they match the ones in the "Downloaded Posting Date" column
  • SebastianH
    SebastianH Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Sherlock Thank you very much for that link! That solution worked! I had not come across that solution before! Maybe Quicken should make it easier to change the posting date? Or, IDK maybe download the correct date from the bank to begin with? IDK. Either way, I am now able to reconcile my account. Cheers to you, my friend :)
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Just a thought @SebastianH , if you reconcile using the "Online balance" feature it may make life a bit easier by not having to change dates - if you have not done this before.  To enable this, Edit the account details > online services tab and select the box at the bottom right "Reconcile using online balance".  Then use the reconcile function as you currently do and see if you like it better or not.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.