Split File in Half

fweiss1
fweiss1 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
I have a very large Quicken file that I would like to split in half.
The file goes back about 20 years.
I do make periodic backups.

Should I do this?
Benefits of doing this?
If yes, how?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    How large is your very large Quicken file and why would you like to split it in half?

In my opinion, you should not do this if you can avoid it.   The slight performance benefit you may achieve when Quicken processes all available transactions or when performing certain file operations may not be worth the cost of managing segmented data.   Quicken provides two approaches to performing a split: Create a copy or template and Create a year-end archive.  Each approach has its advantages and disadvantages.  

Answers

• Sherlock
    Answer ✓
    How large is your very large Quicken file and why would you like to split it in half?

In my opinion, you should not do this if you can avoid it.   The slight performance benefit you may achieve when Quicken processes all available transactions or when performing certain file operations may not be worth the cost of managing segmented data.   Quicken provides two approaches to performing a split: Create a copy or template and Create a year-end archive.  Each approach has its advantages and disadvantages.  
  • This content has been removed.
  • fweiss1
    My file is about 100MB. Thank you for your prompt response.
  • Sherlock
    fweiss1 said:
    My file is about 100MB. Thank you for your prompt response.
    Your Quicken file is not very large.  Our Quicken file is 25 years old and over 330MB.

You didn't explain why you would like to split it in half.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    fweiss1 said: I have a very large Quicken file that I would like to split in half.
    As mentioned... it doesn't matter - nothing will change - not performing faster.
    And most users with any kind of history have a single Quicken QDF file that is between 200-300MB -

• fweiss1
    My reason for splitting the file is performance. Based on comments I've received I will now keep the file as is. Thanks to all for your responses.
This discussion has been closed.