Transferring Quicken 2007 .qdfm on iMac macOS 10.12.6 to Quicken 2021 on iMac Monterey

Options
nalaselig
nalaselig Member
The posts on the closed discussion ‘Successful conversion of Quicken 2007 file to latest Quicken’ were VERY helpful. However, as this discussion is now closed, I am somewhat nervous about my interpretation of the recommendations that I took from this. I would be grateful if somebody could confirm that I am going to follow the correct and if possible simplest procedure.

I have been using Quicken for 40+ years, initially Quicken for Windows and converting to Quicken for Mac in 2005. I am currently running Quicken 2007 (Canada) on my iMac running macOS 10.12.6 Sierra. I accepted that I was not eligible for updates on either but as everything was working just fine I was comfortable with that. However, I now want to upgrade to the latest iMac. The old one is working OK but it may be running on borrowed time. In upgrading my hardware it makes sense to do the same with my software, including Quicken. I will have to do this in any case because v 2007 will not run on Monterey. So my question is how do I transfer my files from Quicken 2007 to 2021?

All my Quicken files are backed up on both my HD and a USB 1 stick as .qdfm files. They are also copied with all my other files on my Time Machine external HD. I will use this to migrate all my files, including the Quicken 2007 application to my new iMac. I realise this will not run on Monterey but I note the caution in the discussion I am using as a reference about not being in a hurry to delete it. Can I assume from reading the other posts that after downloading Quicken 2021 on my NEW iMac, I will then be able to read and transfer the .qdfm data using the USB stick and/or the files transferred by migration from the Time Machine HD?

I noted the advice with regard to expecting ‘appearance’ differences of the data. My requirements these day are pretty simple day-to-day accounting and investment data monitoring is not a feature I ever use. Although I was living in Canada when I elected to use the Canadian version, I now live in France and have financial transaction here as well as in Canada and the UK. I get around the currency issues by just creating separate files for each country and accepting the numbers I see are in the currency of the file designation. It reduces some of the facilities that Quicken offers but this has not been a problem. All the facilities I do need, such as forecasting, budgeting, etc., are still available. I assume the 2021 version will still accommodate using it in this way?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    nalaselig said:
    So my question is how do I transfer my files from Quicken 2007 to 2021?... Can I assume from reading the other posts that after downloading Quicken 2021 on my NEW iMac, I will then be able to read and transfer the .qdfm data using the USB stick and/or the files transferred by migration from the Time Machine HD?
    One your old Mac, make a copy of your current Quicken 2007 data file. Then open Quicken 2007 and rebuild the file indexes (Command-Option-B) — a precautionary step that sometimes prevents error during the file conversion. After that, quit Quicken and make a compressed (.zip) copy of your data file by clicking on it in the Finder and selecting File > Compress. This is the safest way to transfer Quicken data files between Macs.

Take that .zip file and move it to your new Mac; the USB stick is probably the easiest way. (Or if you've done all the steps above before you run the Mac-to-Mac Migration Assistant to transfer all your files, then the .zip file will be included in the file transfer.) Once you have the .zip file on the new Mac (n your desktop is fine, or in your Documents folder), double-click it to de-compress it; you'll now see your .qdfm data file (albeit without the familiar yellow dollar sign icon). 

On the new Mac, download and install the modern Quicken Mac. When you launch it, after you log in, you will arrive of a "Let's Get Started" page. Select that you want to start from a Quicken 2007 data file, navigate to the .qdfm file and select it, and allow Quicken to do its thing converting your data file. Hopefully this will go smoothly, but if it should fail, relax knowing you still have Quicken 2007 on your old computer should you need to go back and try something different with the file.

I note that you mentioned you have separate Quicken data files for your different currency accounts. So you will repeat this procedure with each of your data files, being sure to name them logically so you know which is which. You'll be able to switch between the different files using File > Open Recent in Quicken Mac.

Once the file conversion is complete and it's open in Quicken Mac, you'll have some work to do getting oriented to the new user interface. ;) My only advice is not to get frustrated because things look different and you don't know how to make it do the things you're used to. It will take awhile to get used to the basics and learn some of the fine points, but if you approach it with an open mind and don't say "I wish it was like Quicken 2007!" every few minutes, you'll adapt soon enough.

In that regard, Quicken has a nice program they run where you can have a free one-on-one phone/web session with a support representative to help get you oriented to the new Quicken Mac and answer any early questions you will doubtless have. I would suggest doing this soon after you convert your data, but not before you have it up and running on the new Mac. You can schedule your one hour consultation any day at a time of your convenience using the form on this web page:

https://www.quicken.com/support/help-getting-started-quicken

One of the early things you'll want to do is compare your accounts in Quicken 2007 and the new Quicken Mac. Because you have your old computer still available, that will make it easy for you to verify that all your accounts are present, and that your account balances and portfolio holdings are correct. You may need to do some minor clean up (I had some small rounding errors in my investment accounts, for instance), but hopefully everything will mostly look correct.

nalaselig said:
    I will use this to migrate all my files, including the Quicken 2007 application to my new iMac. I realise this will not run on Monterey but I note the caution in the discussion I am using as a reference about not being in a hurry to delete it. 
    Keeping the Quicken 2007 application on the new Mac is worthless. It can't run, so you can delete it immediately. If you need to look back or fall back temporarily to Quicken 2007, you would do so on your old Mac. 

nalaselig said:
    My requirements these day are pretty simple day-to-day accounting and investment data monitoring is not a feature I ever use... All the facilities I do need, such as forecasting, budgeting, etc., are still available. I assume the 2021 version will still accommodate using it in this way?
    Pretty much, but it depends on exactly what you use and how in Quicken 2007. Yes, basic accounting and transaction management is comparable. The budget is somewhat different, but workable for most users. Note that your budget data will not migrate; you'll need to create a new budget(s). (The budget area of Quicken Mac is one awaiting some upgrades that users have been clamoring for for a long time, and I expect to see some progress on over the next year.) Forecasting is different, but for most people, seeing future cash flows is covered adequately in Quicken Mac. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • nalaselig
    nalaselig Member
    Options
    Hi Jacobs,
    All I can say for now is one VERY BIG THANK YOU! I am not taking delivery of my new iMac until late in July. My questions are part of preparing for that and making sure I make the correct decisions. Following your detailed instructions will make it much easier but clearly I need to wait until I have the old & new (iMacs & Quicken) side by side. I will get back to you when I do that.
    Thanks again
    Alan
This discussion has been closed.