Home Inventory inactive page loads

Options
Installed Quicken Premier on a newly purchased laptop with Windows 11. It installed correctly and I was able to retore my Qdata file. The issue I'm now facing is I've used Quicken Home Inventory for years and my dollar value shows as an asset in Property accounts, but when I select Home Inventory the page launches but it is an inactive page that is greyed out. Quicken no longer supports Home Inventory. Does anyone know how to activate the inventory page so I can restore the datta?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Sherlock! I tried your suggestion yesterday as I saw the same answer. It didn't work. I double checked my yesterday attempt and Home Inventory Manager is added. Selecting Home Inventory still launches a greyed out inactive page. I spent about a half hour with Quicken Support yesterday even though they do not offer this support. None of their suggestions which were in the Quicken Program files solved the issue. There must be something in the installation or program files that needs to be changed to activate Home Inventory once launched. To take down the inactive page, I have to use Task Manager to delete the page since I'm unable to use File on Home Inventory to exit. Thanks again.
    After you installed the Quicken Home Inventory program as described in the guidance provided, I suggest you open the Home Inventory file manually to reset default location in the Quicken file.  If you haven't already, you may want to also review: https://www.quicken.com/support/home-inventory-data-gone-after-converting-new-version-quicken
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Again, thank you Sherlock! I tried this yesterday as well and was not able to find any file with .ibd extension in program files. I just tried again with the same results. Also, within Quicken, I performed a search using Find Quicken Files and was unable to locate anything with .ibl or QHI. Perhaps that's because this is a fresh machine and any QHI data file I have are on backup drives. Or, maybe, I'm not understanding the instructions.
    The Home Inventory file should have suffix is .idb (not .ibd).  I suggest you transfer a copy of the Home Inventory file or the Home Inventory file backup from the original machine.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, I miss typed .idb, but I did not see any file with that extension. I have multiple copies for QHI data files, but that does no good if the QHI Screen on the new machine will not function to restore the saved QHI data.
    What is the suffix of these QHI data files

I suspect the Quicken Home Inventory program (QHI.EXE) installed in the Quicken program folder is having difficulty locating the .IDB file.  If the Quicken Home Inventory application window is greyed out, I suggest you try pressing the Esc key.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Frank Kawalec
    Options
    Thanks Sherlock! I tried your suggestion yesterday as I saw the same answer. It didn't work. I double checked my yesterday attempt and Home Inventory Manager is added. Selecting Home Inventory still launches a greyed out inactive page. I spent about a half hour with Quicken Support yesterday even though they do not offer this support. None of their suggestions which were in the Quicken Program files solved the issue. There must be something in the installation or program files that needs to be changed to activate Home Inventory once launched. To take down the inactive page, I have to use Task Manager to delete the page since I'm unable to use File on Home Inventory to exit. Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @frank kawalec - it could also the QHI program coding is no longer compatible with Windows and it's not just a matter of an update or change in Quicken.  You can try opening QHI with different compatibility modes in Windows, but I really doubt that would work either.
  • Frank Kawalec
    Options
    Thank you, Damian for your post. You might be correct. This issue occurred with Quicken loaded on a new laptop with Windows 11 OS. I'm using the same version of Quicken on my old laptop which I wish to retire. It has Windows 10 OS and Home Inventory in Quicken works fine on that machine. Maybe it's a Windows 11 compatibility issue. But I don't want to give up. Too many years of Home Inventory data that I would prefer to maintain. Still hoping a solution is out there somewhere!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After you installed the Quicken Home Inventory program as described in the guidance provided, I suggest you open the Home Inventory file manually to reset default location in the Quicken file.  If you haven't already, you may want to also review: https://www.quicken.com/support/home-inventory-data-gone-after-converting-new-version-quicken
  • Frank Kawalec
    Options
    Again, thank you Sherlock! I tried this yesterday as well and was not able to find any file with .ibd extension in program files. I just tried again with the same results. Also, within Quicken, I performed a search using Find Quicken Files and was unable to locate anything with .ibl or QHI. Perhaps that's because this is a fresh machine and any QHI data file I have are on backup drives. Or, maybe, I'm not understanding the instructions.
  • Frank Kawalec
    Options
    Just to be clear. I have a backup QHI data file on a flash drive and know how to restore that data back into the new Quicken file on the new machine, but none of that is of any use if the launched Quicken Home Inventory page is launched and is nonfunctioning. The QHI program screen is shaded out and clicking on any area of the screen doesn't respond. Even trying to go to File to exit will not work. To take down the QHI screen, I have to use Windows Task Manager.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Home Inventory file should have suffix is .idb (not .ibd).  I suggest you transfer a copy of the Home Inventory file or the Home Inventory file backup from the original machine.
  • Frank Kawalec
    Options
    Sorry, I miss typed .idb, but I did not see any file with that extension. I have multiple copies for QHI data files, but that does no good if the QHI Screen on the new machine will not function to restore the saved QHI data.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the suffix of these QHI data files

I suspect the Quicken Home Inventory program (QHI.EXE) installed in the Quicken program folder is having difficulty locating the .IDB file.  If the Quicken Home Inventory application window is greyed out, I suggest you try pressing the Esc key.
  • Frank Kawalec
    Options
    Walah! Thanks so much Sherlock! I went back into Quicken program files and clicked on QHI.EXE and Home Inventory screen popped up as before as shaded out and inactive as before unfortunately. So out of frustration, rather than using Task Manager to take down the screen, I hit the Esc key and to my fortunate surprise the Quicken Home Inventory Screen activated. I have now restored my QHI data file to it and all is functioning as it should. Evidently the ESC key was the key to the problem. Thank you again for your willingness to share your thoughts and expertise.
This discussion has been closed.