how to use a digital code to extend a current subscription

Options
Brian Medeiros
Brian Medeiros Member, Windows Beta Beta
apparently purchased a new customer only digital sub and don't know how to use it on my current account. Why on earth quicken would make two different versions is beyond dumb. Anyone know how to figure this out?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Quicken hasn't made two different versions.  When we purchase a Quicken subscription from a retailer, we purchase an activation code.  To extend the subscription associated with a Quicken ID using the activation code, open a Quicken file associated with the Quicken ID and select Help > Manage you subscription > Enter activation code...

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-manage-my-quicken-subscription

If you purchased a new subscriber only activation code, you cannot extend your existing subscription.  If you want to start a new subscription using the new subscriber only activation code and continue to use your existing Quicken file, I suggest you create a new Quicken ID, associate the new Quicken ID with your Quicken file, and enter the activation code as described earlier:
    1. Select Edit > Preferences...
    2. Select Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    3. Select Sign in as a different user
    4. Enter yes 
    5. Select Sign Out
    6. Sign in with the your new Quicken ID
  • Brian Medeiros
    Options
    You tell me quicken hasn’t made two different versions but then you describe two different versions.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You tell me quicken hasn’t made two different versions but then you describe two different versions.
    They are not two different versions.  They're simply offering a discount on the price of a subscription for new Quicken ID.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sematics.... The Quicken software is all the same, and different features are enabled depending upon which version...
    - Starter - Deluxe - Premier - Business
    HOWEVER - Quicken, like many products, is offered to NEW USERS at a discount -
    and that discounted "version" can't be used if you already have a Quicken ID established....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Brian Medeiros
    Options
    If my subscription runs out I believe after 30 days I am considered a new customer. Can I use the code for new users then?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, if your Quicken ID was used to register a version of Quicken Subscription (whether it expired or not), you're NOT considered a new user. You would need to create a new Quicken ID or return the New User version if you're in the 30 day return window.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Brian Medeiros
    Options
    Thank you. Can I set up a new account with a different email and then restore my data file?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, you can but you don't need to restore your file. You can open your current data file and Sign in as a different user. You shouldn't do this until your current subscription expires. Also, you might have to setup some online access again such as bills.

Navigate to EditPreferences...Quicken ID & Cloud accountsClick Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)Follow the prompts to Sign Out Sign back in using your new Quicken ID (email) and password 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.