Quicken.com login problem with Mac Safari

Options
Wes Maulding
Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
I am unable to login to Quicken.com using Safari browser (macOS Monterey V12.4).
When I try to login I am told the credentials are invalid... I use the password reset feature to change the password, then try to sign-in and am told again credentials are invalid.

Quicken program (on same Mac) is able to login fine using same password. And Chrome is able to login as well.

I am accessing via my home network, no VPN or security software... vanilla macOS 12.4

Quicken support instructed me to change password and wait two hours, then access the system. This did not work.

Any suggestions to resolve?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Just trying to understand…

You're trying to log into Quicken.com in a web browser;
    In Chrome, you type in your email address and your password, and you log in successfully;
    In Safari, you type in your same email address and your password, and you get an error?

Or is Safari filling in the password for you when you type your email address? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you using high security settings in your browser or Private Mode?
    I saw mention of these settings as a possible cause for your problem. If you know how to, please try to figure out which browser setting is blocking you.
    Your browser must allow popups from https://www.quicken.com
  • Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Options
    "Just trying to understand…
    You're trying to log into Quicken.com in a web browser;
    In Chrome, you type in your email address and your password, and you log in successfully;
    In Safari, you type in your same email address and your password, and you get an error?
    Or is Safari filling in the password for you when you type your email address?"

Yes, you have this right... log in using Chrome and all good... log in with same credentials using Safari and fails. I am not allowing Safari to autofill the password... I enter it exactly as I set it when I reset the password.
  • Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Options
    "Are you using high security settings in your browser or Private Mode?
    I saw mention of these settings as a possible cause for your problem. If you know how to, please try to figure out which browser setting is blocking you.
    Your browser must allow popups from https://www.quicken.com"

This was a really good suggestion. I reviewed Safari settings and made adjustments to permit pop-ups from Quicken site. Unfortunately it did not resolve this issue and I continue to get invalid credentials when attempting to sign in using Safari browser.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was a really good suggestion. I reviewed Safari settings and made adjustments to permit pop-ups from Quicken site. Unfortunately it did not resolve this issue and I continue to get invalid credentials when attempting to sign in using Safari browser.
    Have you called Safari Support yet? Maybe they can figure it out ...

• Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Options
    "Have you called Safari Support yet? Maybe they can figure it out ..."

Yes, spent some time on with Quicken support team. Their instructions were to change the password, wait two hours, then sign in. Unfortunately this didn't resolve my sign-in issue.

I just tried using Safari from an iPad and it also failed, while Chrome on the iPad worked... exactly the same situation as the Mac. Very strange.

Thanks for your support and interest.
  • jacobs
    Options
    This is really odd.

For what it's worth, I use Safari 98% of the time, and have no problem logging into the Quicken website — but I'm only an older version of macOS and therefore an older version of Safari (14.1.2). But the fact that you can't log in via Safari on an iPad seems to rule out that it's a macOS-specific issue. Many, many other Quicken Mac users use Safari as their preferred browser.

Does the password you're using have any unusual special characters? If so, could you try to (temporarily at least) try a password with no or minimal special characters, and only common ones like exclamation point or hyphen or @ sign.
  • Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Options
    "This is really odd."

Hi jacobs,
    Yes I agree it is crazy strange. I’ve used Safari exclusively for many, many years and never had an issue with Quicken site before. Puzzling that Safari has issues on both Mac and iPad, while Chrome works on both.

I did "dumb down" my password as you mention, to use only upper and lower case letters, bit that didn’t work either.

I’ll keep at it and will give Quicken support another try… thank you for your interest and suggestions.
  • jacobs
    Options
    I just don't understand why a login should have any browser dependency. All of a sudden. And just for you. And on different devices.

Unless there is more information returned by Quicken about the details behind the invalid credentials error, I'm skeptical that Support will provide useful help with this.

I should have asked this before: is this login to Quicken.com for access to My Account or for access to Quicken on the Web? If the former, it's not somewhere you need to log into frequently, so if no solution emerges, maybe just accept that you'll use Chrome for the infrequent times you need access to your account information. If it's for the latter, well, you might have to use Chrome for that, too… even though none of us understands why. 

Please post back here if you get it fixed/find a solution… I'm very curious what could be causing the problem you've described.

Best of luck!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Do you have Enable JavaScript checked in Preferences > Security? Do you have content blockers disabled for quicken.com?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have finally gained access to Quicken website using Safari 15.5 browser. I have been adjusting preferences and not sure which one was the culprit, but these are the settings I have now that are working: Safari>Preferences>Security>Web Content: Enable JavaScript enabled; Safari>Preferences>Websites>Pop-up Windows>[Allow: quicken.com, signin.quicken.com]; Safari>Preferences>Websites>Content Blockers>[No Active Content Blockers]

I have Safari enabled for iCloud sharing on Mac and iPad, which may explain why Safari had problems on both platforms.

I greatly appreciate all the guidance and suggestions while troubleshooting this issue.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    It was Javascript. I have content blockers and popups blocked on my Safari. Still works. 

I turned off Javascript and get this message "If you're seeing this message, that means JavaScript has been disabled on your browser, please enable JS to make this app work."

But if you're already on the login page, you don't see the message. Then when you turn JS back on, it fails with an "Oops, something went wrong" message. The only way to fix that was to make sure JS is on, then restart the computer. Then you're back in business. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    Options
    Whew! Glad you got to the bottom of it and now have it working. Thanks for reporting back here and closing the loop. :) 
  • MarkShusterman
    MarkShusterman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Having the same issue. Can't sign in using Safari no matter the settings. Tried turning Java off and on. Same with pop-ups and content blockers. Quicken just doesn't recognize log-in credentials using Safari. No issue with Chrome. Haven't tried Firefox.
  • Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Options
    Mark, try the following... uncheck Safari>Preferences>Privacy>Hide IP Address. I ran into the same problem again, and when I unchecked this option, I was able to successfully log into Quicken with Safari browser. Good luck!
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You could try (on MacOs) going to Safari Preferences,
    choose Privacy then Manage Website data
    Search for Quicken, you'll see Quicken.com then remove taht entry

The website data file may be corrupted, it happens sometimes with differnet sites 
  • MarkShusterman
    MarkShusterman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Wes Maulding - thanks; that worked.
  • MarcoD
    MarcoD Member
    Options
    I am having this same problem for logging into Quicken.com on Safari, and in addition to the Quicken Mac desktop app. I am using macOS Monterey 12.5 with Safari 15.6.

I was able to log into Quicken.com on Chrome - this is the only way I could leave a comment here.

Settings:

- "Hide IP address" unchecked
    - "Block all cookies" unchecked
    - "Enable JavaScript" checked
    - "Pop-up Windows" are Allow for signin.quicken.com, app.quicken.com, community, quicken.com
    - I do not have antivirus software running
    - I do not have a VPN

Long in Summary (all on the same network):
    Macbook Pro - Safari - app.quicken.com - invalid credentials error
    Macbook Pro - Quicken App - Invalid credentials error
    Macbook Pro - Chrome - app.quicken.com - Successful login
    iphone - Safari - app.quicken.com - Invalid credentials error
    iphone - Quicken App - Invalid credentials error
    ipad - Safari - app.quicken.com - Invalid credentials error
    ipad - Quicken App - Invalid credentials error

Quicken support suggested I wait 4 hours, but i have had no difference in logging in. I am a new user and converting from Quicken Mac 2017 to the Mac subscription. For Quicken Support, if I can't get this resolved I'll just cancel my new subscription and go back to Quicken 2017.

Any support from the Community would be greatly appreciated!
  • Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @MarcoD said:
    > I am having this same problem for logging into Quicken.com on Safari, and in addition to the Quicken Mac desktop app. I am using macOS Monterey 12.5 with Safari 15.6.
    >

@MarcoD Sorry to hear you're having this problem. I just re-checked my Safari settings, which by-the-way, seem to frequently get re-set to default values that cause problems with Quicken web sites, and looks to me like you have your set correctly.

One difference with your situation is I never had an issue with the Quicken app having credential issue. This makes me wonder if your situation is a variation from what I and others here were having. I agree the Quicken support team was not very helpful resolving the Safari problem, but they should be able to troubleshoot the Quicken app problem. Maybe get that working and in the short-term use Chrome for accessing Quicken Community sites.

Good luck and please keep us posted on progress so us Mac users can learn more about this issue.
This discussion has been closed.