Getting OLD QMac 2004 data into current QMac

Options
Doris SK
Doris SK Member
My mom has been using Quicken 2004 on an ancient iMac for years — and keeping that old computer even though she has a newer iMac because she didn't want to deal with importing/exporting and learning a new version of Quicken.

She is now ready to bite the bullet and switch, though, and so I installed the latest version of Quicken on the newer computer. But when I exported the data from the 2004 Quicken (as a .QIF file) and tried to import it into the new one, it didn't work.

I followed the suggestions for converting from a version of Quicken for Mac older than 2007: "Quicken for Mac products older than 2007 are not supported for conversion; however, if you have a data file from an older version of Quicken for Mac, you can attempt to update to the latest Mac version. (1) Install the latest version of Quicken for Mac. (2) Select the 'Start from a Quicken Mac 2007 file' option, even if your file is from a version that's older than 2007."

When I did that, though, the screen told me that Quicken 2007 files have a .qdfm extension, not .qif — and the file was greyed out when I tried to open it. I renamed it as a .qdfm file to see if that would work, but I'm getting this message when I try to import the file: "Could not import '[File Name].qif.qdfm'. The resource fork is missing."

There must be SOME solution here...? Is there some 3rd party converter we could use? Or a service we could pay for to get the data converted and imported? Or is there some way to run the old software on the newer computer (which is a late-2013 iMac running Big Sur)?

Grateful for any guidance!
Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Quicken Mac doesn't import .qif files. The process for importing is to obtain a copy of Quicken 2007 — the original 16.0.x version, not the later 16.1.x or 16.2.c version — and use the two update the Quicken 2004 data. Then Quicken Mac win be able to import that Quicken 2007 file 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Doris SK
    Doris SK Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I don't think that Quicken 2007 will run on a Mac with Big Sur. Are you saying it will???

And if not, are there any other options here? Or is our only option to manually recreate the data in the new version of the app?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    No, what I said is that you'd need to obtain a copy of Quicken 2007 to convert the Quicken 2004 data. That would need to be run on her old computer, which it sounded like you still had; that Quicken 2007 data file could then be copied to the new computer and converted to run on modern Quicken Mac. If you no longer have the old computer, you would need to obtain one in order to run the old (pre-Mac OS Lion) version of Quicken 2007.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.