Quicken Issues [Edited]

Options
rbadd1056
rbadd1056 Member
edited August 2022 in Before you Buy
Quicken has been a mess since last year. My Schwab accounts are still a total mess. Once Quicken seems to fix something, they seem to break it again. I've probably spent 40 hours since the end of 2021 working on problems Quicken has created. [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines] I am a totally disgusted long-time user looking for another solution.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do you blame all your problems on Quicken when it was Schwab that decided to change the way they communicate with Quicken? Maybe you should drop Schwab and move to a different financial institution.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do you blame all your problems on Quicken when it was Schwab that decided to change the way they communicate with Quicken? Maybe you should drop Schwab and move to a different financial institution.
    I think there is plenty of blame to go around.  Quicken Inc is "Championing" Express Web Connect +.  Sure, it is also the financial institutions pushing it too, but they are certainly "in bed with them".

The truth is that we (in the US and Canadian) have terrible financial institutions/systems that have forced programs like Quicken to go to "aggregators" with all the problems that causes.

Looking at the Schwab conversion to Express Web Connect + it is clear that even though the transfer of data from Intuit to the financial institution is now standardized, that standard falls way short in describing all the possible investment transaction types, or if it isn't lacking that Intuit has no idea on how to properly convert it into a format that Quicken can use.  And I might as well throw Quicken Inc in there too, because for whatever reason Quicken (the program, and probably code on their servers) had to be changed which implies Intuit didn't just convert it to OFX format and be done with it, they forced some of the new format into the rest of the system down to Quicken (the program).

Given the fragmentation of this I don't see it getting any better for a really long time.  Most likely longer than Quicken will be around.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    rbadd1056 said:
    Quicken has been a mess since last year. My Schwab accounts are still a total mess.
    Schwab "was" a mess back in November, but that was Schwab's doing.  Since January everything with Schwab downloads has been working fine for me.
    rbadd1056 said:
    Once Quicken seems to fix something, they seem to break it again.
    I agree with that statement or they break something else.  So knowing this from experience, I suggest a conservative approach on upgrading to the next patch/release.  Once you find a release that works for you stick with it as long as feasible - a year for example.  Also read the community posts on releases to determine what's fixed, what's broken and then decide if you are willing to accept a new release.

Chris_QPW said:
    Given the fragmentation of this I don't see it getting any better for a really long time.  Most likely longer than Quicken will be around.
    Agree with everything @Chris_QPW wrote.  I believe more and more FIs will drop Direct Connect support and/or reduce or eliminate support for complex products such as Quicken's desktop.
    P.S. Quicken remains the most productive program on my desktop.  I will continue to subscribe to it as long as the features I use continue to work.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BK said:

Schwab "was" a mess back in November, but that was Schwab's doing.  Since January everything with Schwab downloads has been working fine for me.

I don't have a Schwab account, but looking at the posts on this forum, says to me the system has problems, at least for some securities.
    Schwab bond transactions download incorrectly, etc. — Quicken
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rbadd1056
    rbadd1056 Member
    Options
    Fact - the multiple Quicken fixes have never fixed the problems on all of my Schwab accounts. Yesterday, I ultimately deleted several of my Schwab accounts from Quicken and then brought them back - losing all of my accumulated data with the exception of the last three months (as far back as Quicken will import right now says Schwab). Why didn't Quicken know about this far reaching problem before it occurred? Somewhere, somebody dropped the ball - Quicken? Schwab? - It certainly was not us, the users. It is fair to say that yearly subscription based Quicken was not prepared.
  • Mike Sp
    Mike Sp Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @rbadd1056 said:
    > Quicken has been a mess since last year. My Schwab accounts are still a total mess. Once Quicken seems to fix something, they seem to break it again. I've probably spent 40 hours since the end of 2021 working on problems Quicken has created. [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines] I am a totally disgusted long-time user looking for another solution.

I AGREE! I have had nothing but problems for the last year! I too am looking for an alternative. Have had issues with my cash balance suddenly changing after a normal download. My stock purchases would go missing when I would check them in Holdings. I have been a long time user and now I just want my money back and the countless hours trying to fix things. So so said, it used to be a good program. They definitely got some major issues. And support is no HELP! And I can't totally blame them, is definitely a program issue.
This discussion has been closed.