Investment account register issue

Options
2»

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    For what its worth, I updated the procedures in my post to remove the step to create a new IRA account.  I also removed the step to move transactions from the temporary brokerage account to the IRA account.  I added a step to convert the temporary brokerage account to an IRA.  
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    I made the account type change. However, the old checking account still has transactions that belong in the new account.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I made the account type change. However, the old checking account still has transactions that belong in the new account.
    You were supposed to move the cash transactions into the brokerage's checking register before you converted the brokerage account into an IRA account.  I suggest you restore the backup you saved and try again.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @debrasheila - moving the cash portion from the linked checking account is a bit different than moving investment transactions.  I have updated the procedures in my post with procedures that will help you with that.  It is a link to a Quicken support article.  (Right after the "Move Investment Transactions" steps.)
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    The cash transactions did move to the brokerage acct but went back to the old account when I changed the account type to IRA.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cash transactions did move to the brokerage acct but went back to the old account when I changed the account type to IRA.
    What you've described should not be possible.  If you actually moved the cash transactions into the brokerage's register, there should be no way they would move back to the old account when you changed the account type to IRA.  
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    I cannot seem to highlight multiple transactions in the old cash account.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I cannot seem to highlight multiple transactions in the old cash account.
    To select a range of transactions in a non-investment register, left-click on the first transaction and press the Shift key and left-click on the last transaction.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    After I moved the investment transactions to the temp account, the holdings were all OK. After I moved the cash transactions, the cash balance is OK but the investment holdings are a mess.
    I have not restored the reconciled status.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    If I restore the original account and manually enter investment cash income into the linked checking account, would that cause any problems?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After I moved the investment transactions to the temp account, the holdings were all OK. After I moved the cash transactions, the cash balance is OK but the investment holdings are a mess.
    I have not restored the reconciled status.
    One step at a time:
    1. Restore the backup.
    2. Create the brokerage account.
    3. Move the IRA's investment transactions to the brokerage account.
    4. Enable showing cash transactions in a checking register.
    5. Clear the Reconciled status of the transactions in IRA's checking register.
    6. Delete the transfer transactions between the IRA's checking register and brokerage's checking register.
    7. Cut the remaining transactions in the IRA's checking register and paste the transactions in the brokerage's checking register.
    8. Reset any transfers referring to the IRA's checking register to refer to the brokerage's checking register.
    9. Disable showing cash transactions in a checking register.
    10. Convert the brokerage account into an IRA.
    11. Reconcile, reset any memorized transactions or reminders referencing the original IRA's registers, and delete the original IRA's registers.
    After #3, the IRA's investment register should be empty.
    After #4, the brokerage check register should have all the cash entries from the brokerage account and transfers to the IRA's checking account.
    After #8, the IRA's checking register should be empty.
    After #9, the brokerage account should have all of the IRA's investment and cash transactions.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    I will try again. How do I filter the transfer transactions in step 6?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I will try again. How do I filter the transfer transactions in step 6?
    You may sort either checking register by category to group the transfer transactions, then select the appropriate range of the transactions as described earlier, and delete the appropriate transfer transactions.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    I think I followed your directions. The investment holdings are correct, but the cash balance is way out.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @debrasheila - use the transaction reports I had you create for the "old" cash account to reconcile the new cash account.  Identify missing or duplicate transactions and update the new cash account accordingly.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I think I followed your directions. The investment holdings are correct, but the cash balance is way out.
    Well, it's difficult for me to spot what you haven't done correctly without more information.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am going to give it 1 more try. Will need more details for step 6. Which register do I use to clear the transfers?
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    Are the transaactions in category Brokerage-cash the ones that I want to delete? That is the overwhelming majority of them.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am going to give it 1 more try. Will need more details for step 6. Which register do I use to clear the transfers?
    Are the transaactions in category Brokerage-cash the ones that I want to delete? That is the overwhelming majority of them.
    In step 6, it does not matter which checking register you use.  If you use the IRA's checking register and assuming the name of the brokerage's checking register is Brokerage-cash, you want to delete all the entries with [Brokerage-cash] as the category.

In step 7, you must select all transactions in the IRA's checking register, then cut and paste the transactions into the brokerage's checking register.  Note: After the paste, some transfer transactions with the brokerage's checking register may appear in the IRA's checking register.  If present, these are handled in step 8.

In step 8, you use the brokerage's checking register and further assuming the name of the IRA's checking register is IRA-cash, you locate any entries with [IRA-cash] as the category and replace [IRA-cash] with [Brokerage-cash].

After step 5, the cash balance is in the IRA's checking register and the balance of the brokerage's checking register is zero.
    After step 6, the cash balance is distributed between the IRA's checking register and brokerage's checking register.
    After step 7, the cash balance is in the brokerage's checking register and there may be an additional balance in the IRA's checking register.
    After step 8,  the cash balance is in the brokerage's checking register and the cash balance of the IRA's checking register is zero.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    After step 5, most of the cash is in the IRA checking account but there is also a small balance in the Brokerage cash account. It consists of transactions since Feb/ (when the program was no longer operating as before). Can I just delete those transactions and re-enter them after all the changes are made?
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    The category for those transactions is brokerage, so maybe I need to delete them from the brokerage register?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After step 5, most of the cash is in the IRA checking account but there is also a small balance in the Brokerage cash account. It consists of transactions since Feb/ (when the program was no longer operating as before). Can I just delete those transactions and re-enter them after all the changes are made?
    The category for those transactions is brokerage, so maybe I need to delete them from the brokerage register?
    After step 5, the brokerage's checking register should only have transfers with the brokerage's investment register and the IRA's checking register and they should balance out to zero.  I don't know happened since February.  My preference would be to leave the brokerage registers as they are and determine what adjustments, if any, were made in the IRA's checking register for the missing cash transfer amounts and correct the IRA's checking register entries before moving on to step 6.
  • debrasheila
    debrasheila Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you so very much, Sherlock and Damian. My program is now running smoothly. You have been of immeasurable help.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you so very much, Sherlock and Damian. My program is now running smoothly. You have been of immeasurable help.
    I appreciate your tenaciousness.  Many would not have made the effort to complete this task.

Take care.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am glad we could help you find a resolution to your issue, which was not a common one.  I concur with @sherlock 's sentiment.  Your determination to resolve your issue made the difference.
This discussion has been closed.