Which is better to use for purposes of creating reports a "Subcategorie or a Tag

kimgoss
kimgoss Member
I own a Duplex and I want to account for income and expenses by Unit "A" and Unit "B". The Bank account is 300 Hilltop (includes Unit "A AND Unit "B". For purposes of tracking income and expenses and assigning to the specific unit, do a create a Subcategorie for each unit or a Tag Unit "A' and Tag for Unit "B".

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You could do it either way, but to me, this is the type of thing Tags were designed for. You'd have two Tags instead of 6 or 8 or 10 or more duplicated subcategories. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • kimgoss
    kimgoss Member
    Thanks so much...that is what it appeared. But either way it is only 2 tags or 2 subcategories. Just not familiar with how to handle best for getting reports for each side.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I agree with @jacobs. By using categories such as Rent (income), Yard Maintenance, Repairs, Real Estate Tax, etc. and assigning tags of "Unit A" and "Unit B" to each transaction, you will be able to generate reports for any combination of category and property. For example, you could make a report for all expenses and income for both properties, or you could make a report for just Repairs for both properties, or you could make a report for all expenses for both properties. Using separate categories and tags will give you this reporting flexibility. (The categories I mentioned above are just some examples. I'm sure there are more.)

One more thing: if you have an single expense that is for both units, say, a tax bill for the duplex, you will probably want to split that transaction, assigning half to tag "A" and half to tag "B", to allow flexibility in future reporting.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.