how to combine overlapping Citi credit card data

Options
EllenFR
EllenFR Member ✭✭
I have a Costco Citi credit card. I've been downloading since 10/1/2019. I discovered it stopped downloading transactions 5/25/2022 sometime after I received a new card with changed cc# starting on 4/12/22. I have added the new cc# resulting in a separate account listing, but now I have overlapping transactions in the two accounts with dates between 4/12/22 and 5/25/2022. Is the easiest solution to just delete the duplicated transactions from the original account? How do I close out the balance on the old account, leaving it at 0 and leave the new account alone? Thanks.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it would be easier to delete them from the original account, doing so only changes the Ending Balance of that account and when all of the dups have been deleted, its Ending Balance SHOULD be the Opening Balance of the newer account.
    Then you can make a transfer of the Ending Balance from Old to New replacing the Opening Balance (OB) of the newer account.
    I say replace, but I would make the OB zero and have the transfer be the second transaction in the new account.
    NOTE: MAKE  A BACKUP BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• EllenFR
    EllenFR Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Splasher. I had finally arrived at your solution--the opening balance was already correctly in place for the new account. I think all is now correct and I thank you for your reassurance! I do not understand how/why duplicate entries were downloaded in the first place, however.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @EllenFR
    There is a field in the download called FITID.  It is supposed to be unique to a transaction.  Quicken keeps track of these on an account basis so that it will not present dups in the Downloaded Transactions tab.  Notice I wrote "on an account basis".  
    Since the transactions were downloaded into two different accounts, Quicken considered all of the transactions in the initial download to the new account to be unique and unknown, but to you they overlapped between the accounts, but like I stated, Quicken only prevents dups in the account it was imported into.
    There are two instances where you will get dups in an account.  If you change download methods, Direct Connect (DC) to Express Web Connect (EWC) or EWC to Web Connect (WC) but not generally when going from DC to WC or vice versa, since the financial institution creates the FITID for those two methods and probably uses the scheme.
    EWC's FITIDs are generated by the the aggregator service (Intuit) and they have some scheme based on who knows what that if you de-activate and re-activate an EWC account, it may start generating the FITIDs differently and therefore produce dups.
    Hope that explains why you got the overlap in the first place.
    BTW, you can see the FITID if you add the "Reference number" column to an account's register, but generally it is just a waste of space unless you are trying to troubleshoot an issue.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.