Cancel Check Pay Transaction

Options
I paid a bill using Check Pay. The payee sent the check back to me uncashed because they had changed their company name and need a check to be issued to their new name. I shredded the check and tried to delete the entry from my register. I got the message, "This payment must be cancelled before you can delete it." I am having trouble figuring out how to cancel it.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cowbaby50 said:
    I paid a bill using Check Pay. The payee sent the check back to me uncashed because they had changed their company name and need a check to be issued to their new name. I shredded the check and tried to delete the entry from my register. I got the message, "This payment must be cancelled before you can delete it." I am having trouble figuring out how to cancel it.
    Hello @cowbaby50

I am sorry for any confusion you have experienced with regards to the Check Pay feature. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community. 

First, save a backup by navigatin to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Then, follow the steps listed below:
    1. From the Quicken Tools menu, choose Online Center.
    2. Select the financial institution from which the payment is drawn, then click the Payments tab.
    3. On the Payments tab, select the payment, and then click Cancel Payment.
    4. When asked if you want to cancel the payment, click Yes.
    5. Click Update/Send to initiate an online session and complete the cancellation.
    You can read more about these instructions in the Support Article linked here.

I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @cowbaby50 - was the payment for the Billl Pay check deducted from your account already?  If so, the simplest thing would have been to just redeposit the check back into your account.  Next time that happens just endorse the check and write "Not used for purpose intended" on the back of the check, and redeposit it back into your account.

Even if the payment hasn't been deducted from your account, you can just make an offsetting entry for the check amount.  It would be like a reversal for the check in your register.
This discussion has been closed.