QFX export file from bank has wrong USERID . Who originates the USERID?

Options
JoelEH
JoelEH Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
When I download an exported QFX file from my bank, the USERID is wrong. Until I figured out what was wrong, I often had to deactivate and reactivate my accounts. I now know I can edit the QFX file to change the USERID and then import into Quicken. Who originates the USERID?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your financial institution generated the QFX file, only they control what is in it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it's contained within the downloaded QFX file, I think, we can safely assume that it's the bank which puts the userID into the file.
    What's the problem with the userID? What does the bank send?
    Oh, and may I ask why you're downloading QFX files (aka Webconnect protocol)? Does the bank not support downloading from within Quicken using One Step Update or "Update Now"? The latter usually being easier and more reliable.
    What's the name of the bank?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you switching back and forth between importing a QFX file and another connection method?

Quicken does use the USERID and account number to connect the online account to an account in Quicken, but in fact doesn't care what it is as long as it doesn't change.  If you are only downloading a QFX file, then you can just link it to whatever Quicken account you like.  You might have to deactivate the current connection to some other user Id/account information, before reconnecting it to the new user Id/account number, but that is about it.

But if you are changing between connection methods on a regular basis the information should be the same no matter what connection method you are using, but like I said above, only your financial institution can change the information it puts into the QFX file.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah - we need more  clarity on WHAT BANK
    and why you are downloading vs using the online One Step Update -
    Happen to look at a sample QFX download (with Notepad) from my Chase bank and I see no "UserID" - ??
    only the usual Quicken Bank number + Routing + Account Number is listed....
    as you already have logged into the account,
    so the XML info is just the normal banking data with matching fields for the specific - bank account -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    yeah - we need more  clarity on WHAT BANK
    and why you are downloading vs using the online One Step Update -
    Happen to look at a sample QFX download (with Notepad) from my Chase bank and I see no "UserID" - ??
    only the usual Quicken Bank number + Routing + Account Number is listed....
    as you already have logged into the account,
    so the XML info is just the normal banking data with matching fields for the specific - bank account -

I looked at a few QFX from different financial institutions, and see that it isn't in all of them, and that where it is, it is actually INTU.USERID not USERID.

But note that looking the OFX logs (if you are using a Direct Connect account connection) it is USERID in the "send" part of the communication to request the transactions.  A QFX file is supposed to be the "receive" return part of the conversation, so I'm not sure at this point if the USERID in the QFX is used or not.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I looked at my sample QFX download from ALLY and from CHASE, and neither has the entry for any UserID -  just bank ID 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• JoelEH
    JoelEH Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'll try to answer you 3 guys who commented on my question.
    *I use Quicken subscription.
    *I use both methods to import transactions. Several years ago, I had trouble with the update within Quicken not working with my bank so I had to use the bank's export QFX function.
    *I update within Q now without problems except often it won't pick up the last several transactions that have posted to my account but are not pulled in. (That’s another problem). When that happens, I export from my account to be up to date.
    *My bank is Midflorida Credit Union (central Florida).
    *Here is a sample of my bogus ID: INTU.USERID>V6N0FwpkJs6yDGOsPmNK (a dozen characters cut off)
    *I have talked to MidFl help desk reps several times and basically they have no clue what I'm talking about. The last rep said she would refer this to the technical people but I never heard back. I assumed the bank was generating this file, but I couldn’t find anyone to talk to to fix the problem.
    *If I go into the QFX and edit my INTU.USERID and put in my actual ID, Q has no problem with the file.
    *I posted this question because it may help someone else with the same problem understand what's going on.
    *My original problem was when I would import the bad QFX file, it would change the Customer ID in my Q Accounts to the bogus ID and I would have to deactivate the several accounts and reactivate them each time because I didn’t know why it was happening. You know what a hassle that is. I now know to edit the ID and then import into Q.
    Thanks
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @JoelEH thanks for the detailed explanation.  And yes, given that you can't get the financial institution to fix the problem, editing the QFX file seems like the only way to go other than I would recommend Help -> Report a problem, whenever you don't get the transactions with Express Web Connect.  At least that will ping Quicken Inc/Intuit to try to fix the problem.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looked at some others - Fidelity ... is not Web-Connect ...
    Here is my Vanguard (UserID is X'd)
    <INTU.BID>15103
    <INTU.USERID>XXXXZZZZ
    </SONRS>

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JoelEH said:  *I update within Q now without problems, except often it won't pick up the last several transactions that have posted to my account but are not pulled in.
    The Quicken download may involve a shadow file created after all the postings are complete, and may not contain all entries for a day or so - I see this with some of our credit cards.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.