How to I check the balance of a category?

Options
MALEXANDER
MALEXANDER Member
I am tracking multiple funds through one account. I have this account linked and have categorized all imported transactions. How do I generate a report to show me the balance of each category?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might want to check out:  Reports > Investing > Investment Transactions.  Customize the report to Subtotal by Category.
    Does this give you what you want to see?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your terminology is confusing.  Categories don't have balances.  Most transactions in investment accounts do not need user-suppled categories 

Are you saying you have each downloaded transaction referencing the correct fund (security) and you want to know the balance of each fund?  A Holding view from the register or a portfolio view (Ctrl-U) should provide that type of information.  The portfolio views can be easily customized to show lots of different information.   
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @malexander - On your Category List, if you right click on any of your categories with a balance, you can run a report for that category.

When click on "Category Report" it will give you different options, but if you run a Full Report, it will give you a total for that category.
  • MALEXANDER
    MALEXANDER Member
    Options
    I have 9 different "accounts" or funds that are operated out of one checking account. I have the transactions from each fund categorized. My issue is that I need to run a report to see the current balance of each fund. I have the checking account synced but I am concerned that I will have to operate manually and offline so that I can build each fund as a separate account rather than show it as a category.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I recommend you read Quicken Help on the topic of Savings Goals. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @malexander - have you looked into using tags?  Maybe setting up 9 different tags would get you what you want.  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What are these "funds" you're talking about?
    Are you investing in Mutual Funds in a brokerage account?
    If so, you should have "Buy/Bought" transactions for each fund, which in turn is recorded as a Security (not a category).
    As a result, you can use the Holdings button in the investment account register for a quick overview. You can also use the Investing tab's Portfolio view to see a summary of your fund holdings.
This discussion has been closed.